Old Fashioned Sweet shops in Sheffield

I think there ought to be a campaign to bring shops like these back. Talking of sweet shops that have gone, by does anyone remeber Hibberts in town? They had one on Pinstone st and one on Surrey St (Both now GT News). They had striped brown bags with their name on and always had the sweets ready bagged. The only thing with tsweets shops was it always took ages to decide what to have. The ones on Woodseats were

Mrs Church's - near Scarsdale Road

Bullocks - Opposite Chantrey pub (Near Mr Rounds - That is another thread for discussion)

Smiths (next to Woodseats PO according to Kellys directory c.1972)

Ye Olde Candy shop (opposite big Tree)

Josies (across from Woodseats News - That woman was evil to kids). What is Marco's restaurant was part of the same shop, think they sold cards in that part.

Sweet shop across from Abbey Pub (name unknown - this was around 1977?)

There were 2 sweet shops on Abbey Lane at one point both on opposite sides of the road the larger one was on the right going towards Chesterfield Rd.

Those were the days. Anyway talking of shops what about the produce, my favourites were Lions Midget gems, Jamesons Raspberry Ruffles and Thornes Butter Dainties mmmmmm............

• 3 weeks later...

Hi! I am a journalism student at the university of Sheffield and I am writing a story about Granelli's Sweet Shop for my coursework and the student newspaper. I was wondering if anyone would help me with it. Please share with me:

1. How you found out about/who introduced you to Granelli's?

2. How often you buy sweets from Granelli's?

3. What are your favourite sweets from Granelli's?

4. Why you love Granelli's?

5. Describe your experience/feelings/impressions when you FIRST stepped into Granelli's.

6. Please leave your name, age and address because I have to use it for quotes in the article (For confidentiality purposes, you can email me at beck_teria@yahoo.com.sg)

A BIG THANK YOU TO ALL!!!!

• 3 months later...
One shop which I think hasnt been mentioned is the one in Castle Market on the ground floor near the lift on the back wall

Wasn't there 2 sections? I'm sure that's where my mum would go for breadcakes, bakery stuff, I am thinking of the right thing?

Granellis sweet shop must have been there for donekys years..I remember stopping off at the shop on our way home before my kids were born...and even now from time to time we still go...theres also some nice little old fashioned sweet shops in whitby...i go there often cos my hubbys a coach driver..and he seems to be in whitby every ruddy week !! Does anyone know if you can still get Rileys Chocolate Toffee Rolls ?? I've tried all over including the shops above..and cant find them anywhere....they used to be in a brownish coloured wrapper and an oblong shape ...they were scrummy....had some toffee rolls since..but they werent a patch on Rileys ones....the shops in Whitby sell sherbert and crystals too..with the lollies for dipping !! MMmmm.....or if no lollies...use ya finger !!! :hihi:

• 1 year later...

Archived