New Internet Snooping Law. Will it be for the better?

This still isn't a good example of something that is currently legal, that could unfairly/wrongly be made illegal if a government agency happened upon it whilst monitoring a phone call or intercepting an email.
Not the point. The legality or otherwise is irrelevant. I doubt whether an oligarchical dictatorship or similar would care whether something was legal or illegal. The only thing that matters to them is whether they like it or not.

What I'm saying is that it would be near impossible to protest against a government with these powers if it didn't want you to protest. Then you wouldn't be able to stop it - ever!

Not the point. The legality or otherwise is irrelevant. I doubt whether an oligarchical dictatorship or similar would care whether something was legal or illegal. The only thing that matters to them is whether they like it or not.

What I'm saying is that it would be near impossible to protest against a government with these powers if it didn't want you to protest. Then you wouldn't be able to stop it - ever!

As we've seen in Syria. However laws about ISP record keeping don't seem to be the issue there. Having an army seems to be the issue that is killing loads of Syrians. So using your logic we should not have an army as one day we may end up with someone like Bashar el Assad in charge. Do you think we shouldn't have an army?

As we've seen in Syria. However laws about ISP record keeping don't seem to be the issue there. Having an army seems to be the issue that is killing loads of Syrians. So using your logic we should not have an army as one day we may end up with someone like Bashar el Assad in charge. Do you think we shouldn't have an army?
Am I alone in thinking that your question is a wind-up, or just plain daft? Of course we must have an army, but it must be under our control via a democratic government, and not by an oligarchical dictatorship! Armies do what they are told. (Generally.)

Now if you'll excuse me, I have other things to do!

Am I alone in thinking that your question is a wind-up, or just plain daft? Of course we must have an army, but it must be under our control via a democratic government, and not by an oligarchical dictatorship! Armies do what they are told. (Generally.)

Now if you'll excuse me, I have other things to do!

So we can have an army because we're a democracy but we can't ask ISPs to store information for a couple of years in case we end up with a mental dictator? That's your thesis?

So we can have an army because we're a democracy but we can't ask ISPs to store information for a couple of years in case we end up with a mental dictator? That's your thesis?

We can't have ISPs storing data because you know someone's just gonna hack that stuff in less time than I can make weetabix :hihi:

We can't have ISPs storing data because you know someone's just gonna hack that stuff in less time than I can make weetabix :hihi:

What about the data every website you visit holds? Most people would shudder if they knew what is actually captured by websites. Big brother is watching us already.

What about the data every website you visit holds? Most people would shudder if they knew what is actually captured by websites. Big brother is watching us already.

Like I said before 7 proxys. It's the future :|

Archived