New Internet Snooping Law. Will it be for the better?

I can see in rapidy moving circumstances (like the french jihadi going beserk recently) the benefits of GCHQ being able to rapidly build realtime maps of who is talking to who and who they have been talking to in order to triangulate possible suspects rapidly seem sensible. If the legislation is restricted to GCHQ and not rolled out as a general police power then I would broadly support it, I'd have to see the detail though.

I can see in rapidy moving circumstances (like the french jihadi going beserk recently) the benefits of GCHQ being able to rapidly build realtime maps of who is talking to who and who they have been talking to in order to triangulate possible suspects rapidly seem sensible. If the legislation is restricted to GCHQ and not rolled out as a general police power then I would broadly support it, I'd have to see the detail though.

My Bold=

They can already do this.

Privacy? If any one wants that, they are going to have to stop communicating!

Sadly experienced terrorists worked this out some time ago. That is one weak area of the proposal, most actual terrorsts don't send emails, they use multiple free online email services and just write draft messages on accounts which then get accessed by their accomplices and reply overwritten, so on and so forth. None of which would be picked up by what is proposed if they maintain discipline and never send.

My Bold=

They can already do this.

I think that what is being proposed differs from what exists in that currently GCHQ can demand historical records and updates, the proposal would require ISPs and telcos to have suitable linkage to GCHQ so that when an order is given they get full realtime visability of the various accounts. I think it's more about a technical upgrade than a change of policy.

Completely unnecessary overkill imo. If this is a anti-terrorism specific measure, surely monitoring everybody makes it harder for the security services to wade through the amassed data (think needle in haystack) rather tha targetted surveillance. The cost will be immense, but for how much benefit?

How do we know the data will be secure, won't be hacked, leaked, sold, or otherwise misused? Probably the worst thing since RIPA.

Archived