New Internet Snooping Law. Will it be for the better?

And to think that Disasterous Dave and the Cabninet's very own Geoffrey Boycott (Hague) have lamblasted other countries snooping laws and infringement of civil liberties.

More to the point - they, and the LibDems, were against it when Labour tried implementing a similar thing towards the end of their last time in government.

And to think that Disasterous Dave and the Cabninet's very own Geoffrey Boycott (Hague) have lamblasted other countries snooping laws and infringement of civil liberties.

Both the Conservatives and Liberal Democrats were quite vocal in oppostion to Labour's appalling record on civil liberties when in office. Now they've come out with this nonsense.

So now we are left with all 3 mainstream parties lacking credibility on civil liberties issues. Not good.

I don't think it's the Government.

I think it's Whitehall that are driving these things.

We've had two and a bit different parties in power and they are both coming up with ID schemes and monitoring schemes and for want of a better phrase schemes to micro manage the population.

Which is a little unlikely unless the Whitehall mandarins are pushing the issue to whoever is the home secretary at the time.

Yes Minister was closer to the truth than people know.

:hihi: Paranoid much everybody?

Over 90% of emails sent are unencrypted, more email servers nowadays are starting to encrypt the handshake (the password bit), but all you need is a server somewhere between here and there and if you use traceroute (or similar) you'll see that your network traffic goes all over the place and everything can easily be snooped by any server it passes through. So, to think that they don't or can't already read all of your network traffic is seriously laughable!

But, same as phone intercepts, for data to be usable as evidence in law a warrant needs to be obtained, which requires evidence of probable cause.

I can only imagine that the volume of evidence flying about the UK internet is ridiculous and they just want to do something about it.

I don't think it's the Government.

I think it's Whitehall that are driving these things.

We've had two and a bit different parties in power and they are both coming up with ID schemes and monitoring schemes and for want of a better phrase schemes to micro manage the population.

Which is a little unlikely unless the Whitehall mandarins are pushing the issue to whoever is the home secretary at the time.

Yes Minister was closer to the truth than people know.

Actually, I think it's more likely to be America that's advising countries to adopt these measures.

(And they're bringing back a new series of Yes Minister:hihi:)

But, same as phone intercepts, for data to be usable as evidence in law a warrant needs to be obtained, which requires evidence of probable cause.

The Police and security services wont need a warrant, they will have 24/7 real-time access.

The Police and security services wont need a warrant, they will have 24/7 real-time access.

Read the article, they still need to get a warrant for any content. All they will have unrestricted access to is the headers (to, from, time, size, etc)

Archived