New Internet Snooping Law. Will it be for the better?

This rankles with a lot of people but the old cliche if you've got nothing hide then you've got nothing to worry about(or something like that) rings true with me.

Great, I'll come round your house sometime and poke around your stuff.

This rankles with a lot of people but the old cliche if you've got nothing hide then you've got nothing to worry about(or something like that) rings true with me.

Of course... abuse of power was long ago eradicated from this world.

As has been already pointed out by me on this very thread, this is the argument of the terminally dimwitted and slow, who cannot see the bigger picture. Congratulations.

Of course... abuse of power was long ago eradicated from this world.

As has been already pointed out by me on this very thread, this is the argument of the terminally dimwitted and slow, who cannot see the bigger picture. Congratulations.

Neither of you put any meat on the bones of your points...what actual harm will come to regular people because of this??

As if they're going to be able to actively moniter internet and phone activity of all of us anyway!

This is such a weak argument when it comes to the erosion of civil liberties. Would put the UK on a par with most middle east countries and China.

To put it simply, just because you think you have nothing to hide now, who is to say the government won't decide something you do or think is now illegal? Once government has control of communication then they effectively have control of what you can and cannot say and that can not be good for democracy.

Because the government can't just magic new laws into existence on the spot.

Neither of you put any meat on the bones of your points...what actual harm will come to regular people because of this??

As they're going to be able to actively moniter internet and phone activity of all of us anyway!

My 'meat on the bones' was posted way before your comment, so if you would care to read the earlier comments you will see why your 'argument' is tosh.

Because the government can't just magic new laws into existence on the spot.

They can if enough people ignore idiotic laws such as this and let them slide. They'll think they can get away with murder. They won't just take ever civil liberty you enjoy away overnight in one fell swoop, but one small step at a time. This silly new law is just another step.

If we're not aware of this then a totalitarian state as seen in 1984, or even in something like 'V For Vendetta' is one step shamefully closer.

As they're going to be able to actively moniter internet and phone activity of all of us anyway!

It's the road to serfdom - We shall never prevent the abuse of power if we are not prepared to limit power in a way which occasionally may prevent its use for desirable purposes.

There are billions of people in other parts of the world who have never had the freedoms we enjoy. In other parts of the world the State has absolute power and can summarily deal with anyone who dares challenge them - that is the problem with power without limitations and the limitations here are constantly being eroded. Why would you volunteer to give up freedoms that separate us from the likes of China and Iran?

At the moment maybe. This is a very short sighted view.

In the future they can make anything illegal and you will have to comply, no matter what you think about it. It might even be made illegal to discuss it on a forum like this.

Who'd have thought 10 years ago that putting the wrong rubbish in your bin could illicit a hefty fine. A trivial example maybe, but an indication of how technology can allow them to interfere in even the most mundane aspects of our lives, never mind anything more serious.

Give an example of something currently legal, that if a government agency happened upon whilst monitoring a phone call or intercepting an email, could wrongly/unfairly become illegal.

Archived