Did Santorum almost call Obama the N word?

Nixon DID preside over the Vietnam war. Longer thn any other president by far. He just didn't initiate or intensify it, not having the chance.

He did two important things also

1. Sanctioned American and South Vietnamese Forces to pursue and destroy the VC in Cambodia. Something that Johnson would not allow

2. Bombed Hanoi and North Viet infrastructure, mined Haiphong harbour.

These actions were instrumental in bringing the North Vietnamese to the conference table

Lyndon Johnson did something that no politicial leader should do in a war that is involve himself to the extent that it came down to micro management. He would assign bombing targets from a map of North Vietnam and his whole policy also amounted to basically tying the hands of his military commanders.

Leaders set policies and leave military commanders to carry them out. That is how it should work

I've always thought, despite his flaws that Richard Nixon was not only an extremely capable President but among the best that the Republicans came up with. His policy of openess with China and the eventual establishment of good relations was one of the major foreign policy achievements of the times.

Even today in public places in China you often see photos of Nixon. They loved the man

Even today in public places in China you often see photos of Nixon.

you don't see pictures of just Nixon on his own in China. It's always that picture of Nixon shaking hands with The Esteemed Leader Mao to illustrate what a great statesman the illiterate mass murdering Chinese pirate was. But it does make a change from all those statues of Mao dotted about I suppose, that look like somebody was trying to hail a taxi before there was this volcanic erruption a la Herculaneum that caused them to get cast in stone - not that anyone could hail a taxi in communist China of course. You had to book it a year in advance.

1. Sanctioned American and South Vietnamese Forces to pursue and destroy the VC in Cambodia. Something that Johnson would not allow

2. Bombed Hanoi and North Viet infrastructure, mined Haiphong harbour.

These actions were instrumental in bringing the North Vietnamese to the conference table

Lyndon Johnson did something that no politicial leader should do in a war that is involve himself to the extent that it came down to micro management. He would assign bombing targets from a map of North Vietnam and his whole policy also amounted to basically tying the hands of his military commanders.

Leaders set policies and leave military commanders to carry them out. That is how it should work

I've always thought, despite his flaws that Richard Nixon was not only an extremely capable President but among the best that the Republicans came up with. His policy of openess with China and the eventual establishment of good relations was one of the major foreign policy achievements of the times.

Even today in public places in China you often see photos of Nixon. They loved the man

Nixon on his own had lots of flaws, as did Kissenger, but they did work well together. Their problem is that they were both extremely vain men, and they could not accept the other mans roles in their relationship.

I think that it is true that Nixon is seen as great statesman in China. I was discussing American Presidents with one of my work colleges who is from China, and she was incredulous when I told her that Nixon basically was fired as President, and he is seen as one of America's worst.

Archived