Heart rate monitors

a heart rate monitor? wouldn't you need a strap?

i have a calorie monitor for bikin on my phone

No a heart rate monitor measures heart rate ie. beats per minute, you are thinking of blood pressure, the heart rate monitor uses the flash light feature on the android same as the ones that they clip on to your finger in hospital.

No a heart rate monitor measures heart rate ie. beats per minute, you are thinking of blood pressure, the heart rate monitor uses the flash light feature on the android same as the ones that they clip on to your finger in hospital.

To get one that measures your heart rate during exercise you'd buy one with a chest strap. It transmits BPM to the watch to keep track of performance during exercise.

£50.00 upwards

Polar FT4M looks like the best bet. Ugly as sin but then it's not meant to be a fashion watch!

Regarding the Android app... I downloaded one of those and tried it against my proper HRM (Polar). At rest, my Polar was clocking around 60-65 bpm, the app was displaying 75ish. After exercise, the Polar showed 150 (and falling) while the app didn't think I'd gone over 130. Not at all accurate and a complete gimmick. You certainly get what you pay for!

Well I have tested my android app against the normal method ie. feeling for the pulse and counting the heartbeats and found it to be 100% accurate, also last week I was at the Northern General and showed it to a nurse who also found it to be accurate.

I agree that if you want to check your pulse whilst jogging etc then the phone method is not viable but for a resting pulse rate it's spot on.

Archived