The Stag on Psalter lane has been taken over

It's very noticable that Thornbridge like to go for pubs in the leafier areas of Sheffield. Just wondering whereabouts on the North side of town would fit that bill.

I live in High Green but I was brought up in Grenoside where my parents still live.

I would say Grenoside is quite a leafy suburb that used to have very busy pubs when I was growing up, but in recent times like so many other areas they're now struggling.

Whether there's enough potential drinkers in Grenoside for Thornbridge to take over a pub I really couldn't say, but I'm sure the real ale enthusiasts in the village would certainly welcome it.

I believe the Norfolk Arms is an Enterprise Inn that's up for sale.

Regards

Doom

I cannot understand what people are complaining about - Thornbridge are taking over run-down pubs and revitalising them by installing quality beers and most often very good quality food.

To take two examples, I would not have gone near The Greystones or The Stag in their previous guises. I can only speak of The Greystones, but now it has become a welcoming destination pub, with great beer and live music. It also provides a huge boost to the area in terms of passing trade and sociability.

Same goes to the group who are changing round places like The Broadfield and The Old House. It's a winning formula, and I'd personally prefer some annoying brattish kids running around on a Sunday than being threatened by some knuckleheaded locals (to take The Broadfield as an example!).

I suspect the attitude towards Thornbridge is more to do with peoples dislike (Jealousy?) of Emma Harrison than the quality of their pubs/ales.

Regards

Doom

Oddly I went to the old Broadfield for 20 years prior to it reopening and never once saw any trouble let alone the knuckleheads you describe:huh:

It went from being a decent pub up to a couple of years ago, from which point it became widely renowned as a dive.

The re-brand has seen it back on its feet again after years of neglect.

I suspect the attitude towards Thornbridge is more to do with peoples dislike (Jealousy?) of Emma Harrison than the quality of their pubs/ales.

Regards

Doom

Fair enough, but she doesn't run the pubs/brew the beer!

Hopefully the toxifying brew of Harrison hasn't seeped too far into Thornbridge's products...

• 3 weeks later...
I cannot understand what people are complaining about - Thornbridge are taking over run-down pubs and revitalising them by installing quality beers and most often very good quality food.

To take two examples, I would not have gone near The Greystones or The Stag in their previous guises. I can only speak of The Greystones, but now it has become a welcoming destination pub, with great beer and live music. It also provides a huge boost to the area in terms of passing trade and sociability.

Same goes to the group who are changing round places like The Broadfield and The Old House. It's a winning formula, and I'd personally prefer some annoying brattish kids running around on a Sunday than being threatened by some knuckleheaded locals (to take The Broadfield as an example!).

If you honestly think the food is better at The Stag now, than it was before Thornbridge took over, you need your tastebuds testing!

Went to the stag a couple of months back on a Sunday, for the price we found the food a bit lacking. Otherwise is was a decent pub (it was very quiet for a sunday I thought)

I have no objection to Thornbridge taking over pubs like this, I like their ale and in their other places they have done a good job with renovations and as said above are almost always busy.

Why so many people seem to wish them ill I don't understand, its almost like a company can enjoy a little success, but as soon as they expand a bit within their local area they are a filthy chain!

I've read recently that the brewery and pub business is losing money

"Emma’s husband, Jim, runs Thornbridge Brewery, housed in a converted outbuilding on the estate and another site in nearby Bakewell. One of his ales is called Jaipur, a nod to the city where he and Emma married. He also owns a number of pubs and restaurants, all of which operate at a loss according to the latest accounts. "

From here.

They certainly seem to be doing well with The Greystones and it's live music nights though.

Trade at a loss..pay no tax on profits!

Archived