The Stag on Psalter lane has been taken over

The whole pub co business model is doomed to fail imo.

Typically they are run down pubs charging premium prices for beer,ie £3.25 for regular lager,when you can buy cheaper beer locally in nicer surroundings.

I am glad someone agrees with me regarding The Greystones and its atosphere I thought it was just me!

Agree completely, couldn't wait to finish my pint and get away. Not been / won't be going back.

Basically pubs have a difficult job pleasing everyone. I personally hate food in pubs because the smell of the food puts me off my beer. I can understand that others like to eat out though. Similarly I hate kids being allowed in pubs at all - even to eat. I'm also not a fan of music in pubs, but again can see that some folk enjoy it.

Lately I have hardly been out because I find most pubs very poor in ways too various to mention here. It's a shame because I really enjoyed going out to pubs and used to go 5 or 6 nights a week.

Also I know this is off thread - and is this just me? But I find Sheffield / S.Yorks. suffers pub wise. We seem to have crap pubs, and fewer pubs compared to other places. The south of England has some phenomenal pubs where I enjoy drinking greatly. Recently visited Bath and went in about 15 fantastic pubs that I couldn't find an equivalent for here. For Bath you could substitute lots of other towns. I know the real ale spin about Sheffield.... but drinking real ale in a crap pub is no comfort. Are we not getting the investment in pubs because of the socio-economic deprivation being greater? (Or some other reason?) It was mentioned earlier on this thread that Thornbridge only seem to take pubs in affluent areas.

Anyone agree?

Agree completely, couldn't wait to finish my pint and get away. Not been / won't be going back.

Basically pubs have a difficult job pleasing everyone. I personally hate food in pubs because the smell of the food puts me off my beer. I can understand that others like to eat out though. Similarly I hate kids being allowed in pubs at all - even to eat. I'm also not a fan of music in pubs, but again can see that some folk enjoy it.

Lately I have hardly been out because I find most pubs very poor in ways too various to mention here. It's a shame because I really enjoyed going out to pubs and used to go 5 or 6 nights a week.

Also I know this is off thread - and is this just me? But I find Sheffield / S.Yorks. suffers pub wise. We seem to have crap pubs, and fewer pubs compared to other places. The south of England has some phenomenal pubs where I enjoy drinking greatly. Recently visited Bath and went in about 15 fantastic pubs that I couldn't find an equivalent for here. For Bath you could substitute lots of other towns. I know the real ale spin about Sheffield.... but drinking real ale in a crap pub is no comfort. Are we not getting the investment in pubs because of the socio-economic deprivation being greater? (Or some other reason?) It was mentioned earlier on this thread that Thornbridge only seem to take pubs in affluent areas.

Anyone agree?

No. You sound like a right misery guts.

Anyone agree?

No I completely disagree, as someone who has lived all over the country and sampled many cities pubs I think Sheffield has some of the best pubs in the country.

No I completely disagree, as someone who has lived all over the country and sampled many cities pubs I think Sheffield has some of the best pubs in the country.

Really? Would you mind sharing with me the ones in Sheffield you think are the best in the country? Might stop me being such a misery guts.

New Barrack Tavern, Kelham island, Fat Cat, Sheaf View, The Bath Hotel.

Cheers saved me the bother.

Only other place I've found with pubs that equal those in Sheffield is in Ouseburn in Newcastle which is similar to Kelham Island.

New Barrack Tavern, Kelham island, Fat Cat, Sheaf View, The Bath Hotel.

Exactly the sort of pubs I feared would be listed. Fat Cat is a very decent pub, I agree. The New Barrack is reasonable. The other 3 are popular and well run, but are not for me, and that's not saying they are poor. I know the Camra "we have more real ale on sale than anywhere else" slogan. Really good pubs offer more than just real ale in terms of quirkiness and character. All run of the mill pubs offer real ale nowadays, and many from local breweries. I didn't say Sheffield's pubs are all poor, but I don't think there are that many outstandingly good ones.

Archived