Is this about time

Hi

The EU Government in their wisdom are to class mobility scooters as leisure vehicles which i would imagine they then would be subject to tax and insurance and an MOT. the reason for this is they have noticed that more and more people are using these scooters as a cheap way of getting around i.e. no tax no insurance and being electric makes them a cheap way of getting around, i must say that i do know people personally who do this they do not get any DLA and use them for shopping etc when they can walk perfectly well, below is a C&P What do you think.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Mobility scooters may soon have an increase in their prices after a change in their tax classifications to leisure vehicles by Brussels.

This new decision will put mobility scooters in the same class as gold buggies and racing cars. This will result in extra import duties payable for mobility scooters made outside the European Union.

Age Concern have urged ministers to fight the move, which is likely to add £200 to the average £2,500 cost of the scooters, as importers pass on the duty charge.

Manufacturers also fear that it may also lead to a change in their zero rating for VAT.

"Classifying all mobility scooters as leisure vehicles is ludicrous. They can be a vital tool to keep older people independent and mobile. A mobility scooter can make the difference between someone staying in their home or ending up in a care home."

"If scooters are to be made affordable for those who need them, the UK Government must put pressure on the EU to totally rethink this policy."

Aren't people who are geuinely in need of transport provided with it, in the form of a powered wheelchair?

I don't think so as my grandad has to buy his own mobility scooter's however i do think he get's a discount from shop's as he is disabled.

but i do think people just out of hospital are provided with these but not permanently

Does this refer to all mobility scooters or only those that are bought for use on roads. I notice that there are a few different classifications and not all are fitted with lights for road use?

how i have read it, it means all mobility scooters, it doesn't separate them it just says "Mobility scooters"

Do you know I'm sure Mobility Scootas have been done absolutely to death on the Forum...

Along with religion, pitbulls, speeding, parking tickets, Parson Cross, the Manor etc

What are you suggesting seeing as this is a new subject relating to Mobility Scooters?

Archived