10" x 7" Bedroom

My third bedroom is 11'x10' and my lodger used to have a standard double in there as well as a desk and a wardrobe, but it was a rather full and cluttered room (in my opinion).

If you took a 4' long slice off one side of the room I don't think that it would be much fun trying to get around the room and do anything else in there. Double beds are big- even standard sized ones are 4'6x6'3- so I wouldn't call a room that's only 10'x7' as being suitable for a double bed if you want to do anything else apart from sleep in there. I'm not even sure that you could open the doors on a wardrobe if you put one in there.

I always find it handy to draw a scale plan and then see what fits.

Just use 1" to 1', so your plan will be 10" x 7", then cut out appropriately sized shapes from bits of paper for the furniture and see how you can fit them into the room. Don't forget to allow for doors to open and remember to mark where the window is, so you don't block it with furniture.

You could also consider splitting it unevenly, so you end up with one small, single bedroom and a reasonablish double.

Thank you for all your replies and the pics, leah-Lacie, were much appreciated and helpful.

Sharonxxxx - it is an ex council house, a 'sunshine' house as they call them!

Are you happy with how yours turned out then?

I have drawn up a plan since I posted and done alot of measuring and a double bed and wardrobe would fit, if we split 10' x 8' and 10' x 7' (it is a foot longer than I originally thought :)

Why don't you make it into a good double and decent sized single,

say 10'x9' and 10' x 6'. It also depends what you are using the rooms for or for whom.

If its yours and a childs bedroom then the smaller room will be plenty big enough.

Yes it will be our room and a childs bedroom, and as our current 2nd bedroom (daughters room) is around 8.5ft x 6.5ft I know that 10ft x 6ft would be big enough, however, Im just thinking of the best place for the partition wall to go without creating too much work.

I suppose this is where a builder/architect comes in really?!

Thank you for all your suggestions, I knew posting here would be helpful :)

... I have drawn up a plan since I posted and done alot of measuring and a double bed and wardrobe would fit, if we split 10' x 8' and 10' x 7' (it is a foot longer than I originally thought :)

Have you accounted for the thickness of the new wall in your plans?

jb

Thank you for all your replies and the pics, leah-Lacie, were much appreciated and helpful.

Sharonxxxx - it is an ex council house, a 'sunshine' house as they call them!

Are you happy with how yours turned out then?

I have drawn up a plan since I posted and done alot of measuring and a double bed and wardrobe would fit, if we split 10' x 8' and 10' x 7' (it is a foot longer than I originally thought :)

think mines s sunshine house its on littledale the same houses are on basegreen too do you know the type i mean ? it has one big bedroom with windows on each side of the room and yes mines fine one has a 3 quarter bed in a big set of drawers and a double wardrobe the other ones smaler but my little un has room to play and we put her a high rise bunk bed with a desk underneath

Archived