Train ticket question

I need to get the train to London for work and they have bought my ticket so I don't have to spend the money myself and claim back on expenses. Only problem is they've reserved seats where I have to change at Doncaster rather than going direct. I'd rather get one of the fast trains from Sheffield that's direct. The ticket says "any permitted" under the Route heading and it says from Sheffield to London terminals - does this mean that I can use it on direct services between Sheffield and St Pancras rather than having to go via Doncaster to Kings Cross?

I think the reason they bought it was because it was cheaper than the tickets for direct services, which makes me think it should be East Coast only - but it doesn't say that on the ticket.

you have answerd your own question any route permitted

The ticket actually says "Route: Any permitted" - which could mean there are only certain routes permitted. Train companies have been known to be quite pedantic about these things. I'll have to check when I'm back at work tomorrow to see whether they're off-peak or advance.

Just bear in mind that often the train from Doncaster (even with the trundle up to Donny) is quicker than going direct from Sheff > London. The trains are much nicer too going that way.

The ticket actually says "Route: Any permitted" - which could mean there are only certain routes permitted. Train companies have been known to be quite pedantic about these things. I'll have to check when I'm back at work tomorrow to see whether they're off-peak or advance.

Here's a link to the routing guide if you want to check (not recommended unless you've got a few hours spare!): http://www.atoc.org/about-atoc/rail-settlement-plan/routeing-guide

But going direct Sheffield - St Pancras is a valid route on a Sheffield - London Stations ticket.

If you were restricted in which services you could use it would normally say something like "SPECIFIED TRAINS ONLY" under Route. It sounds to me like you'll be fine doing what you want.

OT: The "Any permitted" routes are quite flexible. A journey I regularaly take is Sheffield - Norwich. I can either take the direct train, or go Sheff > Donny > Peterborough > Norwich, or Sheff > Brum > Peterborough > Norwich. Or even Sheff > Brum > Ipswich > Norwich on the same ticket.

Here's a link to the routing guide if you want to check (not recommended unless you've got a few hours spare!): http://www.atoc.org/about-atoc/rail-settlement-plan/routeing-guide

But going direct Sheffield - St Pancras is a valid route on a Sheffield - London Stations ticket.

If you were restricted in which services you could use it would normally say something like "SPECIFIED TRAINS ONLY" under Route. It sounds to me like you'll be fine doing what you want.

OT: The "Any permitted" routes are quite flexible. A journey I regularaly take is Sheffield - Norwich. I can either take the direct train, or go Sheff > Donny > Peterborough > Norwich, or Sheff > Brum > Peterborough > Norwich. Or even Sheff > Brum > Ipswich > Norwich on the same ticket.

Thank you! I'm planning on getting one of the fast trains, which is quicker than going via Donny.

Archived