MEGATHREAD:- Recommended Lettings Agents

I've used Reeds Raines on a finders fee basis only. To be fair they have found me good tennants - when I found my own tennants I had a bad time. Cost me about £400 plus £75 to issue new contracts if the tennants want to stay longer.

I do "manage" the place myself though as I live close by. As long as you speak to your tennant and make sure stuff gets fixed quick its easy. Nothing hard about offering the sort of service you would expect yourself as a tennant.

don't use a fully a managed sevice they dont do anything.

Bloor tried to take me to court, I had dealings with their solicitors and pointed out that they were in contravention of their own practices so they dropped their case, slime bags.

They are all slime bags.

Thanks very much for all your help. Will check out the ones you have recommended for price. Have tried doing it myself but it has cost me a lot of dosh.

Can i ask why it has cost you more to try letting it yourself, as I would have thought that with not paying agent's fees it would be cheaper?

Waste of time and money. Try advertising yourself on forum and gumtree, you will be surprised at how many people looking for properties use these free sites.

Letting agents want your money but dont want to know when problems arise, i have just had a major problem with tennants that a letting agency found, it cost me £400 for them to find tennants and then i have had to throw them out after only 3 months, the agency didn't want to get invoved at all because they were not on a full letting service package.

• 1 month later...

Has anybody let out their house through an agent (as opposed to professional landlords?)

Would like some recommendations as to best agents, and general tips to ensure it can be done as hassle-free as possible.

For example, requirements with regards to furnishing - does the house need to be totally emptied or can items be left in garage, attic etc?

A friend of mine is looking to do possibly do this and move elsewhere, and it's difficult to find out info without actually calling letting agents, which is not appropriate at this point in time.

Thanks folks:)

I don't know, but I was told by many agents that the price for furnished / unfurnished makes little difference in Sheffield. It's just a case of do you want to leave your stuff in the house/flat and would you be annoyed if it got trashed. It's not that easy to get your money back from the bond these days so make sure you take lots of photos of furniture etc and make a very detailed itinerary. You have to be able to prove it all was 'good as new' or 'new' in case anything does go wrong.

Most charge quite large fees too. And you don't get much in return...

Archived