MEGATHREAD:- Recommended Lettings Agents

If your friend has taken "full management" with the agent then the agent will give the option of doing any general maintenance work on his behalf and invoicing him for it, or the agent will usually give your friend the option of getting the work done himself if he feels its too expensive.

Damp, however, is a more serious problem than say a boiler breaking, and he can't realistically expect an agent to sort it. It would be a bit like a tenant complaining about a drafty window and expecting the agent to get double glazing installed. ;)

The fact that the agent brought it to his attention is great as damp being left can be really dangerous for the tenants, and I am sure they would be able to recommend a company to sort the problem for him (I am sure lots of people on Shef Forum could recommend too) but it is ultimately the landlord's responsibility to provide a decent standard of property for the agent to let and maintain.

Hope that helps.

James

Yes, this is a serious question. If I wanted to bash a letting agent I would have named them. I just wondered where their responsibility ends. Many landlords have agents because they are not in the country and rely on the agent to look after the property. It appears to me that this agent in question was quite happy to take the money while there was relatively very little to do, but when more work was required they said it was outside of their remit. So, just what can you expect.

James, thank you for your sensible comments and your suggested division of responsibility. No doubt this level of responsibility should be agreed between parties before anything is signed.

I am still interested in other peoples views.

Jamdounut, you are a larf!!!! SAD!!!

the subject matter is a real problem, Letting agents ripping people off. The problem is that they are not manageing, taking the money for the fun of it and running. They should be dealing with the problem, yes they should be liaising with the landlord, yes they should be liaising with the insurance, blok management builders and NHBC, not ducking the issue and saying its not in my purview. So if you can agents like them move on. Plenty of goog agents out there, you dont need muppets.

So the 10 to 17% they get for each month, what do they do for that money per month.

What do they actually do for the tenats finder fees, really give me a clue, but the landlords seem to be coming back, not me, the only thing I can say is Bah Bah, I will follow the others, paying money hand over fist, and then when you need them they dont come up to prook. Sad sad !!!!

I work for a leeting agent who not only have some of the lowest fees on the market but would actually deal with any problem that may arise during the letting of the property. If youd like more infomation give me a call.

Ben

Whitehorne Estate Agents

0114 2506070

I work for a leeting agent who not only have some of the lowest fees on the market but would actually deal with any problem that may arise during the letting of the property. If youd like more infomation give me a call.

Ben

Whitehorne Estate Agents

0114 2506070

This maybe correct, but you dont make sure landlord have the correct licences for properties, i.e HMO'S. and if you miss this information out do you make sure they have up to date gas and electric certs??