MEGATHREAD:- Recommended Lettings Agents

The sad thing is that many tenants believe that a landlord shares the same views as the letting agent which in a lot of cases couldn't be further from the truth. For example, a good landlord wants to look after good tenants and in an ideal world the tenants would stay as long as possible, but a letting agent wants tenant's to constantly move out so the agent gets extra fees. The interests of a landlord and a letting agent completely conflict in many areas so the best thing you can do as a tenant is to find a good landlord and rent from him directly.

Very true FB and some good advice there. :thumbsup:

• 5 weeks later...
Looking for a good letting agent in Sheffield to rent out my house from May onwards. Must beable to do full turnkey management as I wont be in sheffield and also have competitive rate. Any advice would be brill as I would like to get started next week with calling around and getting it on the market!

Thanks!

Don't use mike Jollys, PM for more info as I am restricted about what I can say on public forums

More than happy to discuss our Professional Letting Service to any existing or potential Private Landlords in Sheffield and South Yorkshire.

Send me a PM and I'll forward over our Terms, Company Brochure and Fees to you with immediate effect.

http://www.thelettingsroom.co.uk if you want to see what we offer, or if you're looking for a Property.

Always happy to help....Robbie.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

I work as a Property Manager for a lettings agency in Sheffield and just wondered what people generally look for as a landlord when choosing your letting agent.

As part of my role, in quieter periods, I am required to write landlord guides and provide advice to current and potential landlords. One of these guides is going to be "What to look for when choosing your letting agent"

Thanks in advance...

Ed

Hi Guys,

I am planning to let my 1 bed flat in Kelham Island

I have never done letting before and I am considering the options,

I can either do it my self and deal with all the hassle of finding and showing the place to the tenant

or the option that i am more inclined toward is to rent it through agency.

so I appreciate any suggestions or ideas on things and issues that i may not anticipate ( problems that comes with experience or been a landlord)

I also appreciate any help on how to deal with agents and how they work and what to look for

thanks to all

I've used several agents in different parts of the country, including one in Sheffield.

Bad news first: none of them are 100% ok. There is always something that you feel they could do better.

Good news is they do save a huge amount of time which of course you pay for.

- Contact several agents, pretend you're a tenant looking for a 1 bed flat in Sheffield. You want them to treat your prospective tenants well. You'll also get a more realistic rental research this way.

- Ask how they reference tenants.

- How do they deal with arrears?

- How quickly they respond to you or your tenant request?

- Are you allowed to use your own tradesmens. Tip: gas inspections are ALWAYS cheaper elsewhere.

- Scrutinize monthly statements make sure it matches what you receive.

- Be ready to complain, follow up, and maybe fire them if they don't treat you well.

- Insist on having copies of tenancies, certificates, invoices etc.

Even with an agent you need to educate yourself on how to be a landlord because the law will come after you.

Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...

Is there such thing as a reliable & trustworthy letting agents in Sheffield?

We own 2 flats which we have had for four years & have had 3 letting agents in that time. They have all been more than useless and I'm beginning to suspect our current one of being dishonest.

As we live 200 miles away it's a bit difficult to check up on them when they say there's an issue with one of the flats (which seems to be every other month) & then followed by the other flat having the same issue.

I have a feeling we will need a new agent soon.

Please help does anyone have anything good to say about any of them?