Sheffield steelers chat

kirky

Originally posted by buck

The Panthers were a pro team right from the end of WW11, made up of a bunch of Canadian ex servicemen who didn't go home,along with the Brighton Tigers and a few other teams. Sheffield didn't have any ice at the time.

The Canadian/American National Hockey league had only 6 teams at that time, and the competition was fierce and merciless. Nobody wore helmets nor did goalies wear face masks. It was great fun. Now everybody is protected, and rightly so and I think the last count waS 24 TEAMS. but the game isn't as interesting as it was.

its crap..end of:rolleyes:

Originally posted by barnie41

Hockeybear - crowds of 7000 - would that be the game where they gave out loads of free tickets, and yes I was one of them. It was like watching paint dry my friend - no atmosphere - unless you count half a dozen 12 yr olds doing a dance evry now and then.

They tried to impress and failed I'm afraid.

you must be a student then Barnie41, I knew when they said the attendance was 7000 that the game would be crap, and most of the freebies wouldn't come back. I don't agree with the free tickets, but good on ya for trying a new sport, if you don't like it fair enough.:thumbsup:

Originally posted by barnie41

Wish I was a student, well past all that - it was a corporate freebie if you like. Been to the odd game over the years, but its never got me going at all.

ive seen more action at a funeral..mind you it was a pikey funeral:hihi: :hihi:

The rot seems to have set in after George Dodds left,he'd walk round the arena talking to the very people who paid him his money,he put bums on seats, he wasn't greedy, he "did" things which included the crowd such as once everyone got a flag, for what reason I can't remember it was probably a game against the panthers, or he sent round black bags full of party poppers, the players did the drug cards, which again had the feel good factor because parents and children were included and certainly the kids didn't want to do something their favourite player said they shouldn't. The players were very approachable,and not forgetting Alex Dampier and Clyde Tuyl who worked there socks off for the team,the 7000 crowd was the norm, and the excitement when they played the panthers and the extra seating was put in, it truly were "The Steelers family". I think the Steelers could easily have got over the Darren Brown time, but the knife went in when Norton Lee took over, the very people that hated the thought of him taking over, suddenly had a change of heart and then he was the greatest thing since sliced bread, one week there was a meeting in the Arena grounds and the powers that be were demanding that he would be bad for the club,then they had a change of heart and the fans were told he'd be good for the club,well it was to prove wrong,suddenly people lost heart with the decisions that were made, no one man could be bigger than the club, because that became it's downfall,and now the club is reaping what was sown, players were important and they didn't always feel that they were,the back room staff were the same.Whatever the Steelers had was magic at that time, and I wouldn't swap my memories for the Stanley Cup, but I think they killed the goose that layed the golden egg, and I wish the fans that still go now could regain that Family feeling.

Applegrim, I agree with every word you said, but things change. We now have the best off ice team we have ever had. Simmsy is trying his best to keep the family thing going and on days like today when we beat the Panthers in their own barn it is still there. We will not see the likes of king Kenny again because it is no longer a cheque book team, and I for one think that is good for British ice hockey. Back in the ISL players like Farrand and Duncome couldn't hope to get in their home town team and the future of ice hockey in this country has to be to bring the Brits on. O.K. this year is not good ,what with the lack of imports (yes we still need them)and injuries, but with the off ice team we have the future looks good, very good. Keep the faith and we will be back up there again soon!:clap:

Hockeybear, the saying keep the faith springs to mind, I lost mine about four years ago, I wouldn't trust a soul down there, Simmsy could stand on his head and blow a bugle for all I care, but people don't forget, there's been a lot of easy come easy go, without a jot of feeling, Simmsy once said to us when asked about Marti Makay that the players are just pieces of meat, well thats just what stood the Steelers apart from the rest, you don't call the family "pieces of meat", and once players feel like that they're forced to come on out with their heads down.

Our players were proud, they were the tops, but there got to be an underlying feeling that things weren't right, the're wasn't the easy smiles anymore, and before you say that hockey isn't about smiles etc., well we all know that, but hockey would never have got of the ground at all here without all this good feeling and once everyone felt good, they went out on the ice and did the business, and no one could touch us, the inner happiness was just like having an extra player playing for us, do you remember the Tommy, Cranny, and Millie line up, well although they had some skill, it was the adreneline and the fan worship that got most of their goals, Cranny was like a dog with two tails when he slid along the ice, If you ever see this happen again let me know, I would love to know that feeling had come back.

Archived