Shops selling magnetic bracelets (copper) for arthritics?

http://www.nhs.uk/news/2009/10October/Pages/Copper-bracelets-and-arthritis.aspx

Bit of a test above...

If the pain is being caused by an underlying symptom then isn't the placebo effect causing harm if it just decreases the pain felt..in that the patient will feel that the actual cause has gone away but is ,in fact, still there and possibly getting worse..?

http://www.nhs.uk/news/2009/10October/Pages/Copper-bracelets-and-arthritis.aspx

Bit of a test above...

If the pain is being caused by an underlying symptom then isn't the placebo effect causing harm if it just decreases the pain felt..in that the patient will feel that the actual cause has gone away but is ,in fact, still there and possibly getting worse..?

Thanks for that info Truman. But that test was carried out specifically on osteoarthritis sufferers. The OP mentioned tennis elbow. So he knows what the underlying problem is. All he wanted was to 'see' if it might help in his particular circumstances. :)

Thanks for that info Truman. But that test was carried out specifically on osteoarthritis sufferers. The OP mentioned tennis elbow. So he knows what the underlying problem is. All he wanted was to 'see' if it might help in his particular circumstances. :)

Fair enough but I'd have thought pain was pain no matter what was causing it...if something doesn't stop pain from one thing then why/how would it stop/reduce pain from another..? Genuine question..

Fair enough but I'd have thought pain was pain no matter what was causing it...if something doesn't stop pain from one thing then why/how would it stop/reduce pain from another..? Genuine question..

Eeeek....I dunno! I'm no expert in these things. I've just known people who swear by them, and it works for them, which in my book is fair enough. Usually these people know what's causing the pain, and are reluctant for whatever reason to take medication on a permanent basis to solve the problem. I've never heard of anyone using one, who deosn't know what the cause of the problem is.

I even tried one once when I had a frozen shoulder. It didn't work for me. But I thought it might at least be worth a 'shot'.

But clearly it does work for some people. So they're not being tricked or scammed. It works for them! How can you say they are fools, just because it works for them?

There is absolutely no scientific basis that these can work and I have not read any reports that they do, so the bottom line is they don't!

Once again.. its a placebo effect which has nothing to do with the fact that the actual product has no proven therapeutic value. The effect is from a mental state that believes its working. Some may say that strapping a carrot to the wrist works just as well but the truth is its all cobblers.

No, pain is just a signal and your perception varies with circumstances - ever hurt yourself while you're busy and not realized until you'd slowed down and then the pain hits?

As to the magnets they're usually the same kind as in fridge magnets, narrow strips alternating north and south poles. This gives a strong magnetic field very very close in but which dies off very very quickly. They're not enough to penetrate the upper layers of the skin. See how may sheets of paper you can stick to a fridge with one. Some claim they promote blood flow as blood as iron but the iron in blood isn't ferromagnetic, it's diagmagnetic. See Robert Park's "Voodoo Science" for instance.

hi, does anyone know of anywhere that sells copper magnetic bracelets??

im in agony with my arms (tennis elbow) and willing to give anything a try!!

thanks

Tennis elbow can be attributed to tendonitis,a type of repetative strain via work,or an old injury thats not healed correctly,a lot of batsmen get it via gripping the handle which requires surgery.

Theres a guy on youtube that recommends a few excersises that can help,well worth a try.Iv had the same injury for a few months now.

Eeeek....I dunno! I'm no expert in these things. I've just known people who swear by them, and it works for them, which in my book is fair enough. Usually these people know what's causing the pain, and are reluctant for whatever reason to take medication on a permanent basis to solve the problem. I've never heard of anyone using one, who deosn't know what the cause of the problem is.

I even tried one once when I had a frozen shoulder. It didn't work for me. But I thought it might at least be worth a 'shot'.

How would you know whether it worked or not?

jb

How would you know whether it worked or not?

jb

Ummmmm...I would have thought it was obvious. After wearing it for a few weeks, the pain didn't get any less or go away! For 'me' it didn't work.

It was recommended by someone else, so I thought I'd try it. To be honest I was never personally convinced that it would anyway, perhaps that's why it didn't work. No placebo!

But as I've said earlier, clearly it works for some, and that's fine!

Archived