Samantha Brick - Beautiful?

I don't agree with that at all. There's been loads of confident and secure women whose fame relies on their beauty.

OK, convince me otherwise by naming some women who are feted for their beauty, grounded, not messed up and without a history of dysfunctional relationships, drugs, alcohol and other addictions etc.

I read her article & she instantly branded/ dismissed ANY form of criticism as being "jealous".

I can tell you that before today I have never heard of her.. and when I opened the article , ..was not what I was expecting.

I'm not in no way in total honesty being as she would instantly dismiss me as being "jealous" but.. What's with the nose?? It looks plumpous, and disfigured slightly to me. The most feature that immediately stoodout.

She looks as plain as day and like any other button In the box.

I honestly cannot believe all the things she has wrote about captains sending her free champagne and random strangers rushing over to pay her cab fare as soon as they saw her.

I do not believe in fame but used to work in the theatre/stage business professionally. THERE i have seen so much natural beauty.. in both old & young ladies alike. And I can say that women like beyonce, halle berry... they are naturally beautiful to me.

This woman is egotistic, I would no way like to look in the mirror and see that face...

What a sham/ load of madness...

Well, she's certainly courted controversy and the vitriol and bile that her article has engendered proves her point. We only celebrate beauty when the woman in question is insecure, tragic and messed up, a la Marilyn et al. We can't have women with balls, guts and self-confidence, can we? Not unless they're matronly like Ann Widdecombe.

I don't agree with that at all. There's been loads of confident and secure women whose fame relies on their beauty.

Nor do I. I'd go a step further and say that the post was utter is nonsense.

OK, convince me otherwise by naming some women who are feted for their beauty, grounded, not messed up and without a history of dysfunctional relationships, drugs, alcohol and other addictions etc.

The number of women in the field of entertainment who are considered as very attractive is vast - it seems that you can't be a mainstream pop star now without having the correct looks - the number who are remembered for their tragic lives is comparatively tiny.

It's nothing to do with gender either; Marilyn Monroe, James Dean, Kurt Cobain, Tupac Shakur, Jim Morrison, Keith Moon, Heath Ledger, Jean Harlow all died young and this is seen as tragic in itself, regardless of whether their lives were. There is something of a fascination with celebrities who die young and they often end up being 'canonised' by fans. People love a good tragedy, especially if they can shed a few tears over something that more fantasy than reality.

The Samantha Brick article seems designed to provoke reaction. If an obviously gorgeous woman made these claims she would be considered obnoxiously arrogant, when Brick made them she was rightly considered delusional, as the pictures speak for themselves and the generally negative responses reflect this.

Nor do I. I'd go a step further and say that the post was utter is nonsense.

The number of women in the field of entertainment who are considered as very attractive is vast - it seems that you can't be a mainstream pop star now without having the correct looks - the number who are remembered for their tragic lives is comparatively tiny.

It's nothing to do with gender either; Marilyn Monroe, James Dean, Kurt Cobain, Tupac Shakur, Jim Morrison, Keith Moon, Heath Ledger, Jean Harlow all died young and this is seen as tragic in itself, regardless of whether their lives were. There is something of a fascination with celebrities who die young and they often end up being 'canonised' by fans. People love a good tragedy, especially if they can shed a few tears over something that more fantasy than reality.

The Samantha Brick article seems designed to provoke reaction. If an obviously gorgeous woman made these claims she would be considered obnoxiously arrogant, when Brick made them she was rightly considered delusional, as the pictures speak for themselves and the generally negative responses reflect this.

Name me women who are renowned for their beauty, over and above all else, whose beauty is considered pretty much universal and who do engender much, if any criticism and are fully secure etc.

Name me women who are renowned for their beauty, over and above all else, whose beauty is considered pretty much universal and who do engender much, if any criticism and are fully secure etc.

Are you honestly suggesting that you cannot think of any examples yourself?!

Unsurprisingly, I cannot vouch for the 'full security' of people I don't know personally, nor can I declare that anyone's beauty is ''pretty much universal'' as I believe that there is no such thing, nor can I claim that anyone is "renowned for their beauty, over and above all else" if they so happen to have a career that involves anything beyond having their portrait photographed. I could name people who are widely considered to be beautiful whose life is/was not remembered mainly for tragedy.

However, there is a glaring non sequitur in that post which some of us responded to. You write:

"Well, she's certainly courted controversy and the vitriol and bile that her article has engendered proves her point."

You conclude:

"We only celebrate beauty when the woman in question is insecure, tragic and messed up, a la Marilyn et al."

Brick is not, to paraphrse yourself ''pretty much universally'' considered to be beautiful. This is a claim that SHE is making, with nothing to support it. As I've stated, even if she were, it would be considered arrogant but since she isn't, it comes across as deluded.

Therefore, there is no connection at all with us (society) only celebrating tragic beauty.

I've already written a small list of celebrities who died young (in post #104) to illustrate the point I was making but I note that your post (which others refute) is supported by "Marilyn et al". Perhaps we should learn who some of these others (et al) actually are ...

I think that she is probably the loveliest creachent since T Rex finished.

Did you fancy Marc Bolan then?

I'm not in no way in total honesty being as she would instantly dismiss me as being "jealous" but.. What's with the nose?? It looks plumpous, and disfigured slightly to me. The most feature that immediately stoodout.

Plumpous? What a great word.

Grace Kelly (when she was alive at least).

I think that's in impossible ask and I think you know it. If they are famous, for anything, and beautiful they'll have baggage or the press will create it. Jennifer aniston, still smoking hot but not a week goes by without her on some rag or another. Hasn't been to rehab as far as I know just some public break up(s). Damaged ? Neurotic ? I don't know. How do you know ?

I bet diamonds I could sit outside a pub one summer evening on eccy road and pick loads of nicer, more interesting and less delusional women than Ms brick.

Doesn't matter who anyone names you'll slag them off for something. The rich irony being you'll become the very thing you're objecting to

Archived