The Liberal Democrats focus on the really important issues..

.....or not, as the case may be.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-17449495

A Liberal Democrat MP is calling on the media to stop using the phrase "a tonne of bricks", claiming it is incorrect.

John Hemming says it should be "ton", the imperial weight, not "tonne", which is a smaller metric measurement.

He has tabled a Commons motion condemning what he calls the "unnecessary metrication of traditional British phrases".

In his Early Day Motion, Mr Hemming calls on the House to recognise that using the form "tonne of bricks" is "part of a trend of metrication of traditional British phrases". He argues that "given that a ton is greater in weight than a tonne, this understates the chancellor's commitment to action".

Your point being? :)

If we were to take this op as genuine rather than as a general sideswipe at the LibDems, I'd venture to say that this usage, which personally I've never seen, is yet another example of the lamentable state of education in this country.

People attempting to use words and phrases of which they're ignorant of the derivation, and failing miserably.

Your point being? :)

If we were to take this op as genuine rather than as a general sideswipe at the LibDems, I'd venture to say that this usage, which personally I've never seen, is yet another example of the lamentable state of education in this country.

People attempting to use words and phrases of which they're ignorant of the derivation, and failing miserably.

Given that a metic tonne is 0.98420652761 of an old imperial ton you have to say that it's totally irrelevant at very best.

Wouldn't Lib Dem MP's be better off stopping the Communications Capabilities Development Programme? http://www.avaaz.org/en/stop_the_snooping_law_a/?wctlLab They might regain a wee bit of credibility that way.

The last leaflet we got through the letterbox was a tirade of criticisms about labour masquerading as a newsletter. Although it was obviously from the Lib Dems, you had to search to find their name in the small print.

Venal and Mendacious.

.......or dutifully fall into line behind Smarmy Dave and call it whatever he tells 'em to!:hihi:

Beat me to it!

Is being incredibly pedantic about a totally irrelevant language issue as independent of Conservative policy as the Liberal Democrats are allowed to be these days?

Archived