Cat got baby birds! Help!!

She has a bell so maybe a cow bell will work lol! Think she went in the nest so a bell wouldn't work. If she does it again you will she her on here trying to find a new home!

Ill buy it.

If its able to type im going to make a mint!!!

Pm me your address and ill be round in 5.

It is an inevitability, but that won't make you feel any better when you have to deal with it.

We get about twelve dead chicks over the course of the average summer, usually decapitated, sometimes more than half-eaten.

Most wild birds have the breeding strategy of producing about sixteen offspring during their lives, on the assumption that fourteen of them will get eaten by cats, drowned, starve to death, be caught by an eagle, and so on... the only survival strategy that works is for each two adults to be replaced by exactly two children. On the macroscopic scale, your cat is doing the species a favour by removing some of the less fit individuals.

Because we humans have the strategy of producing very few children and investing enormous effort into making sure they all survive, we don't view the death of an occasional sparrow in the same cold-hearted manner that nature does. My wife bawls her eyes out every time one turns up on the doorstep.

Since the average cat litter is 3-7 kittens, I'm reassured to know that if I kill the neighbours cat that keeps terrorising the birds nesting in our garden, I will be doing cats a favour, on a macro scale that is.

Seriously, even though Heading North's opinion is generally shared by the RSPCB ...

http://www.rspb.org.uk/advice/gardening/unwantedvisitors/cats/birddeclines.aspx

... certain garden species are sufferring declines in numbers, and the opinion is not proven. If you've got a cat please do what mym8scallmeh did, and put a bell on your cat's collar.

Perhaps more importantly, if you have bird feeders (as we do) please clean them regularly.

South Yorkshire Animal Rescue on South Road, Walkley, will take in birds that have been caught by cats and they will try to help them but I don't know what their success rate is.

Their phone number is 2349656.

Of course the best course of action is not to let your cat catch birds in the first place. Keep it inside during dusk and dawn and if you must let it out put a collar and bell on.

My In-Laws have a cat, they live in a pretty rural area and has brought in all sorts, mice and birds normally. Occasionally it tries its luck with a baby rabbit (which they have normally managed to save).

They tried a collar with a bell but the little rascal could always manage to get it off somehow. Thankfully he's too old to bother hunting too much these days. But it's awful when they bring something in that they have caught isn't it?

But at the end of the day that's what cats do isn't it? Before they were domesticated they were primarily hunters. Instinct never leaves ...

I don't think they will be getting another cat!

My In-Laws have a cat, they live in a pretty rural area and has brought in all sorts, mice and birds normally. Occasionally it tries its luck with a baby rabbit (which they have normally managed to save).

They tried a collar with a bell but the little rascal could always manage to get it off somehow. Thankfully he's too old to bother hunting too much these days. But it's awful when they bring something in that they have caught isn't it?

But at the end of the day that's what cats do isn't it? Before they were domesticated they were primarily hunters. Instinct never leaves ...

I don't think they will be getting another cat!

Your right I know, there are so many cats round here so I think whatever I do some other one will have got them. Trust it to be my cat!!!

Archived