North/South divide, why not just split?

Great innovators and / or industrialists indeed, and ones who built business empires on the backs of cheques written by Conservative and Liberal governments... but I really have no idea what they have to do with this thread.

Great innovators and / or industrialists indeed, and ones who built business empires on the backs of cheques written by Conservative and Liberal governments... but I really have no idea what they have to do with this thread.

You deny that they were all great South Yorkshiremen do you?

But they made our City and county, as did I.

What have you to show for either our City or or County.

Nothing I expect.

You're talking about yourself in the past tense, something we should know.

People contribute to Sheffield daily simply by being employed or spending money. It isn't all about the great industrialists of the past. Sheffield had its glory now it's gone like many others. The task now is to reinvent itself not mull over what was.

You're talking about yourself in the past tense, something we should know.

People contribute to Sheffield daily simply by being employed or spending money. It isn't all about the great industrialists of the past. Sheffield had its glory now it's gone like many others. The task now is to reinvent itself not mull over what was.

You are not proud of the town anymore, it is a sad place from what I see of it.

But they made our City and county, as did I.

Nobody is denying that, but it's completely irrelevant to the issue of whether southwest Sheffield would do well to split from the rest of the town. Ergo, it has nothing to do with this thread - particularly since the question of splitting Sheffield was a minor sub-point anyway!

You are not proud of the town anymore, it is a sad place from what I see of it.

That's a whole other thread but in answer to your questions, No and Yes in that order.

This may be a case of familiarity breeding contempt. Having lived in exile from Sheffield for the last 25 years I am always proud to tell people it's where I come from and where I intend to return.

Yes I find irritations on my frequent returns (congestion & road surfaces to name but two) but I always think of Sheffield as home.

Or should I take off these oddly tinted spectacles now?

This may be a case of familiarity breeding contempt. Having lived in exile from Sheffield for the last 25 years I am always proud to tell people it's where I come from and where I intend to return.

Yes I find irritations on my frequent returns (congestion & road surfaces to name but two) but I always think of Sheffield as home.

Or should I take off these oddly tinted spectacles now?

It's your hometown not necessarily home. I think fondly of where I was born but in reality it's nothing like it was and wild horses wouldn't drag me back there to live. It's the past.

The North South divide is a shame and both sides are party in continuing old feuds. History has it's bad points and keeping it alive can be detrimental.

Archived