The pub formerly known as Lions Lair

Kristian

Well what a disapointment!

We called in for a pint last week (between Christmas and New Year). Ok so it was early (about 6pm) and there were only 4 people in yet the place was thick with smoke, and lit up like a football pitch under floodlights. No atmosphere at all, way too bright to be cosy and all the lighting did was highlight just how tatty the place is looking - ripped seats, stains on the walls and ceiling, and scuffs and marks on the walls.

Maybe it's got a completely different feel about it at night, or when it's full but in the state we saw it last week, we won't be rushing back.

Its a real shame, because Sheffield really needs a decent gay bar to go and have a pint or two and the way this was being announced by the Fuel team I was expecting so much more.

Does anyone know if there are any plans for a refurb? Shall we have a whip round for a tin of emulsion??

I'm not aiming to start an argument with this post, I'm just intrigued by this shift in focus at the Lion's Lair.

My comments are prompted in part by Buffy's earlier post, about the venue struggling as a gar bar previously.

It strikes me as an odd decision to change nothing about the bar other than it's target market, in fact, it comes accross as a snub to those people who may have been patronising the bar regulalry, but aren't gay. "Thanks for the custom over the past year, oh and by the way, we're becoming a gay bar from Monday"

What is the basis of this decision? Have they conducted market research etc, who has convinced them that this will work?

I can't help think a more suitable line to take would have been 'gay-friendly' - I appreciate this may be seen as a cop-out, but at the end of the day they are in the pub game to make money.

I'd also like to point out that I'm not trying to sway anyone's opinion, or even rob you of a new bar. Nor will I be put off from going into the Lions Lair - as long as none of you touch me ;)

Neil

By saying it is a gay bar now, doesn't mean that straight, or bi persons for that matter, cannot go in.

I'm sure all the old customers will be more than welcome as long as they don't have a problem with the gay clientele. I'm sure the touching of straight people will be kept to a minimum.

Sheffields gay scene really needs this bar, and from what I have heard the bar was not doing well as a 'straight' bar. At the end of the day the decision will have been a financial one. Have you seen how big the pink pound is? Massive.

Originally posted by PINGU

By saying it is a gay bar now, doesn't mean that straight, or bi persons for that matter, cannot go in.

I'm sure all the old customers will be more than welcome as long as they don't have a problem with the gay clientele. I'm sure the touching of straight people will be kept to a minimum.

Sheffields gay scene really needs this bar, and from what I have heard the bar was not doing well as a 'straight' bar. At the end of the day the decision will have been a financial one. Have you seen how big the pink pound is? Massive.

The bar was doing fine, but the previous landlord also owns another place *and* the council couldn't offer an accurate timeline for how long before the place was knocked down in the new retail quarter development. It could have been anything between a year and ten years. It makes it hard to create a business plan and work out your future on that sort of information.

I remember when Paul and Dave ran the pub,they were brilliant

my hubby, myself, and our kids often went in for dinner, the steaks were massive and very tasty.

They used to have different competitions on bank holidays, including pool and quizzes. My hubby used to drink in there every lunchtime with his workmates from Coles. Ahh Happy times

:)

hey guys, i checked out this new venue.. the lions lair!! :D

It felt a little different to Dempseys, the atmopshere was great and the people friendly. Only negative was that its a rather small establishment with little seating. I noted that everyone congregated around the bar, so it was impossible to find the bar, and buy a drink. Altho it was nice brushing past and mingling with cuties.. fun.

:hihi:

So what do people think will happen to Dempseys? does it need :help: haha

I really feel for Dempseys.. altho im sure they havent tried to get along with the new up coming scene..they should try promote their bar/club (maybe get a website :thumbsup: .. plus tidy the place up a bit.. maybe a lick of paint lol Altho their last attempts was a disaster.. The dance floor is small enough without erecting a monkey cage..in the center of it omg.. how bizzzzar lol :P

Fuel are a little naughty tho.. stealing all the clients :rant:

Fuel is dying iv noticed, some nights are real quiet :suspect: where are all the cute guys going... come back..or tell me where ya going so i can follow haha :heyhey:

Archived