Why not try to do the job yourself?

Hi there just a pretty random post really ,but i have seen over and over again that people are posting adverts for odd jobs they want doing around the house.....now nothing wrong with that and this isn't a post to get peoples backs up or anything like that, but some of the jobs wanted are so simple to do especially with the help of the internet ...why don't people have a go themselves (at least try)before paying someone else xxx amount of pounds for a five or ten minute job, you'd be pretty surprised at what you can achieve if you only try.

I've learnt how to wallpaper,fit a bedroom carpet and underlay, plumb in the washing machine (which seems to be a favourite),use a drill ,trim and fit window blinds and just recently repaired my sons bike and yes i felt proud of myself and it saved me the cost of having to pay someone else to do it.

Any way I guess all i want to say is at least try and if you think its too much then look to someone else to do it for you. :)

These are all skills no longer passed from father to son/mother to daughter

We stick our kids infront of the television out of the way when we want to get anything done, so basically they don't get to learn a damned thing about LIFE

There are students who go to uni completely unable to change a duvet cover - let alone hang wallpaper! (and at least the excuse for not being able to paper a wall is that we've just gone through about 15 years of paint being more popular)

I'm really lucky- my mum taught me how to hang wallpaper and how to do most of the joinery that I have done in the past and my sister taught me how to weld :)

My problem these days is that I no longer have the requisite number of working arms to carry these things out, which is a bit of a bind when I have a job that needs doing and I know exactly how to do it but I just can't make my gammy arm do it.

Before I was ill I did all my own DIY, with the exception of gas work and the plastering of new rooms (I can do patching and bricklaying, just have never tackled a whole room of plaster) so there are loads of bits of my own handy work all around the house, but I just can't do it any more :(

Some are requests from disabled people who find it very difficult to do even the simplest task, especially if it involves climbing a ladder or carrying anything heavy for example.

However I'm all for people having a go if they can. They might surprise themselves and discover a talent they never knew they had.

Hi there just a pretty random post really ,but i have seen over and over again that people are posting adverts for odd jobs they want doing around the house.....now nothing wrong with that and this isn't a post to get peoples backs up or anything like that, but some of the jobs wanted are so simple to do especially with the help of the internet ...why don't people have a go themselves (at least try)before paying someone else xxx amount of pounds for a five or ten minute job, you'd be pretty surprised at what you can achieve if you only try.

I've learnt how to wallpaper,fit a bedroom carpet and underlay, plumb in the washing machine (which seems to be a favourite),use a drill ,trim and fit window blinds and just recently repaired my sons bike and yes i felt proud of myself and it saved me the cost of having to pay someone else to do it.

Any way I guess all i want to say is at least try and if you think its too much then look to someone else to do it for you. :)

A recent change in the calculation of the RPI showed a decline in the sale of step-ladders,a basic of diy.Is this because people now buy in skills rather than repair their own items?

These are all skills no longer passed from father to son/mother to daughter

We have this thing called the internet where you can learn to do pretty much anything you want :) From filling a hole in a plasterboard wall to replacing the brake pads on your car, it's all available if you're prepared to spend 5 minutes looking.

To me its all about quality.

I could probably lay a carpet if i tried but it wouldnt look as good as if a professional did it

Basic jobs such as a little hole filling and putting up shelves i will do myself.

I havent ever attempted to plumb a washing machine in but its simply because i have never been shown how to i think if i actually took a slight interest in DIY i could master it pretty quick.

The main problem i have got however is that when it comes to household tasks i have absolutely NO patience and everything has to be absolutely perfect it cant be done on a "It'll do" basis and quite frankly i dont have the skills to achieve that.

One of the other things im very cautious with is safety aswell for example i have a mirror in my hallway that just needed a nail screwing into the wall and then hangin on did i do it? No because i thought about doing it and couldnt help but think if i do it wrong and it falls off me or my OH could be seriously injured if were walking past it and to me that isnt an option.

We have this thing called the internet where you can learn to do pretty much anything you want :) From filling a hole in a plasterboard wall to replacing the brake pads on your car, it's all available if you're prepared to spend 5 minutes looking.

It's mad, there's pretty much a 'how to's video for everything on you tube.

I'm 25 and am fairly practical though if you go a bit younger some people are clueless. I also have the advantage of knowing where to look for info.

I think another hit factor is that as technology has become more prevalent in our times people are scared to take the back off, have a look inside. I think this fear has transferred to taclkling any problem.

Archived