Why not try to do the job yourself?

After a day's work I do not want to start hanging wallpaper, fitting carpets and tiling bathrooms.

I'd rather relax in my free time and pay someone to do the job professionally.

Besides, it would be a sad day for small businesses if we all decided to DIY....few more thousand on the dole!

If you earn 20 an hour and pay 10 an hour for a job, it makes sense to pay someone. plus it keeps the economy moving.

You will be lucky to earn £20 and even luckier to find some mug to work for £10 doing a skilled occupation.

I think a lot of people might think the jobs are harder than they are; I didn't have a clue how to plumb the washing machine in and was surprised how simple it is (although at first i did get the hot and cold taps the wrong way round :D) Since then I've learnt loads of DIY, because I can't afford to pay anyone really, plus I feel so much pride when I see it done and realise air-head me did it. Some of it might look a little shoddy, but I did it myself :)

I think a lot of people might think the jobs are harder than they are; I didn't have a clue how to plumb the washing machine in and was surprised how simple it is (although at first i did get the hot and cold taps the wrong way round :D) Since then I've learnt loads of DIY, because I can't afford to pay anyone really, plus I feel so much pride when I see it done and realise air-head me did it. Some of it might look a little shoddy, but I did it myself :)

Well done for the diy-its very rewarding.

You will be lucky to earn £20 and even luckier to find some mug to work for £10 doing a skilled occupation.

40 and 20 then, or whatever. The point is if you can outsource your life, make it easier and pay someone in the process then you should do it.

Alternatively, you can just get a guillable partner to put up the shelves for free!

:) thats exactly my take on things well done to you and i agree the satisfaction you get from doing it yourself is a great feeling :D

I agree that practical skills aren't passed down from parents to children so much these days which is such a shame, and obviously i understand that there are people who do require the help as they are no longer able to do the things themselves through disability etc.

I really did'nt mean we should all become master DIY'ERS and put the small businesses out of business ,but all i'm saying is at least try the really simple basic jobs have a go afterall its a life skill learnt and then if you feel that you cannot do the job yourself then source the help from a professional. x

Its funny actually this thread made me change my way of thinking when my ps3 steering wheel broke.

The wheel worked fine but the pedals didnt i tried 2 different games and nothing so i thought ok well ill take them to my partners dads house he maybe able to fix them But then i thought about this thread and thought in fact NO im going to have a go myself so i thought firstly to download the PDF user manual so i knew what went were if i needed to take it a part and rebuild it.

I took the time to read through the user manual and it t urns out the wheel is not configured for most ps3 games correctly (which is abit daft) so you just need to manual reset it which was simply a case of holding down both pedals and releasing them simutansely.

I did that and it worked fine now the reason i posted this was that when they first didnt work i had all but given up on them i was prepared to just bin them.

So as the OP states if you just have a go you never know.

I try to do everything, over the years i've built stables, an extension,a dividing wall and loads more. I've got better as the years have passed, which just proves a point some professionals do a good job simply because they do it loads of times.

Archived