Should politicians have to publish their tax returns?

The reason that there are so many tax loopholes is because there is too much tax. When the system is as large and complex as the one in the UK it simply creates space around and between each piece of legislation.

The answer to this is startlingly simple, but you're not likely to find any government tearing up the tax rulebook any time soon. The civil servants who earn their living from it just won't let them.

Its time we ALL printed our tax returns.

If you were able to see your next door neighbours tax paid for last year, and its a great big fat zero, whilst he has a Porsche in the drive and hes boasting about his latest yacht hes bought, would you be likely to ask him some serious questions? Would he be so willing to boast, if hes swerving his tax bill?

In Norway i believe you can look on the internet and see everyones tax paid.

I wonder how quickly the leeches on society would quickly get caught/embarrassed and how quickly could our tax bills come down if EVERYONE who should be paying, was paying.

Its time for change.

Do you think we also ought to be able to see how much our neighbours receive in state benefits..might explain a couple of those foreign holidays eh? :)

The reason that there are so many tax loopholes is because there is too much tax. When the system is as large and complex as the one in the UK it simply creates space around and between each piece of legislation.

The answer to this is startlingly simple, but you're not likely to find any government tearing up the tax rulebook any time soon. The civil servants who earn their living from it just won't let them.

You think the tax system is complex because of the civil servants?

Dare i suggest that the accountant & lawyers may actually been making more dough & jobs here than the civil servants?

Brown was twice told by the civil servants not to make difficult tax amendments within his budgets as the Treasury/HMRC IT services were dire and wouldnt cope. Twice he ignored them to our peril.

It's just a load of bumf. Tosborne has finally realised how unpopular the government is and is trying to pander to public opinion but unfortunately for the government, it's too late. We all know that any effort made to close the tax loopholes will be a token gesture because it will cost them votes. To make things even worse for hard-up families, incomes of £35k and over will be placed in the highest tax bracket from April 2013.
No they won't, wrong again Mecky.

Do you think that there has been a shift from taxes on income onto taxes on expenditure, and maybe this has led to how complex our tax system has become?

That's a fair point to make and there are nations that pretty much fund everything from health care to airports through sales taxes so I'd be doubtful as to whether there is much difference between the methods. The UK just has too much regulation.

That's a fair point to make and there are nations that pretty much fund everything from health care to airports through sales taxes so I'd be doubtful as to whether there is much difference between the methods. The UK just has too much regulation.

Sales taxes are harder to dodge then income taxes...I think..

Archived