Should politicians have to publish their tax returns?

Who else do you think is to blame?

I think successive governments for the last 30 years have been listening to the lobbyists far more than their depts. HMRC doesnt wish to have numerous loopholes for all and sundry. Their IT systems cant cope with the existence of many of these loopholes.

The Treasury dept from top down is in a complete abyss. We need to be employing experienced accountants and look at over hauling the system and the department. They have a 27% turnover of staff, and 1 in 3 of them use it as a stop gap on their CV's. Its no way to run a business and especially one so important to UK Plc.

The big accountancy firms have been running rings round them for years. This needs to change.

Its time we ALL printed our tax returns.

If you were able to see your next door neighbours tax paid for last year, and its a great big fat zero, whilst he has a Porsche in the drive and hes boasting about his latest yacht hes bought, would you be likely to ask him some serious questions? Would he be so willing to boast, if hes swerving his tax bill?

In Norway i believe you can look on the internet and see everyones tax paid.

I wonder how quickly the leeches on society would quickly get caught/embarrassed and how quickly could our tax bills come down if EVERYONE who should be paying, was paying.

Its time for change.

But how much we pay in income tax is only the start of it. We are simply a never ending stream of income for the government. Just about everything we buy and do is taxed.

I'd like to see 2 prices on everything. The price we pay, and how much of that is tax. Not just VAT but all the hidden taxes like on petrol. How much has to be spent on licences etc. We never stop paying out to the government.

I wouldn't mind so much if I thought it was well spent or used wisely - but it isn't.

No, it's £35,000 at 45%
Is there an emoticon for a sigh?

No Mecky, it's not, Truman is right. It's £35k of taxable income, which means £35k on top of the £10k tax-free band, which means £45k annual income.

Unless you've never earned a wage, I cannot imagine how you would fail to understand this.

No Mecky, it's not, Truman is right. It's £35k of taxable income, which means £35k on top of the £10k tax-free band, which means £45k annual income.

Unless you've never earned a wage, I cannot imagine how you would fail to understand this.

Why have you resorted to insults again?

Why have you resorted to insults again?
If you can show me where I've insulted you Mecky, I will apologise.

At least you've learned a little about tax bands now.

Archived