Football, I never knew we had such influence

Sheffield rulesMain article: Sheffield rules

By the late 1850s, many football clubs had been formed throughout the English-speaking world, to play various codes of football. Sheffield Football Club, founded in 1857 in the English city of Sheffield by Nathaniel Creswick and William Prest, was later recognised as the world's oldest club playing association football.[75] However, the club initially played its own code of football: the Sheffield rules. The code was largely independent of the public school rules, the most significant difference being the lack of an offside rule.

The code was responsible for many innovations that later spread to association football. These included free kicks[disambiguation needed ], corner kicks, handball, throw-ins and the crossbar.[76] By the 1870s they became the dominant code in the north and midlands of England. At this time a series of rule changes by both the London and Sheffield FAs gradually eroded the differences between the two games until the adoption of a common code in 1877.

I did know that. Sheffield continued to innovate as well for a while.

First black player in the league

First match under floodlights and so on

This little city has been a haven of industry and trailblazing in sport, music and much else

I did know that. Sheffield continued to innovate as well for a while.

First black player in the league

First match under floodlights and so on

This little city has been a haven of industry and trailblazing in sport, music and much else

I always knew we were an innovative engineering town, but didnt know that.

You live and learn as they say. :thumbsup:

Hmm, the OP is cutting and pasting from Wikipedia without giving credit? Naughty boy! :D

My defence is ignorance.

I did not know that was an offence.

Mucho apologies. If you will accept them.

Hmm, the OP is cutting and pasting from Wikipedia without giving credit? Naughty boy! :D

Why not think before you type.

While the original text is in a Wikipedia item, it has also been copied by others all over the 'net.

Sometimes with correct reference, sometimes without.

You, however, had no idea from where the OP copied the text from.

Innit?

Archived