Boat race protestor..next the olympics??

What law exactly did he break ? :huh: He was swimming in a river ........... hardly Grand Larcany was it . :loopy:

Had it been a seal instead of a person the luvvies would have been screaming for the race to be stopped.

The News about Matthew Parish prompted my earlier post,

Legal grounds

The legality of swimming in inland water is "complex and unclear", says Nathan Willmott, a partner with law firm Berwin Leighton Paisner, who advises the Outdoor Swimming Society

There are no set rules for different bodies of water such as rivers, reservoirs or ponds, and each section of water must be weighed up against a number of criteria. According to ancient case law, one can only swim in "navigable waterways", a test that relates to the passage of boats rather than swimmers.

"There isn't really a book to look in to see if a particular section is navigable, whereas with walking you can look on an Ordnance Survey map for rights of way," Mr Willmott says.

Then there may be local bylaws forbidding swimming, which will cover particular stretches of water, although tracking down any applicable ones is a difficult process in itself, he says. There is also the question of land ownership, which may prevent swimmers from getting to the water.

Last month, British Waterways, which manages Britain's historic canals and rivers, advised against taking a dip in its waters, suggesting swimmers "choose somewhere suitable, such as a swimming pool or lido" instead.

As for Matthew Parris's Thames dip, Mr Willmott says a solicitor would currently be hard pressed to say whether such a swim was legal or not. But London's chief harbour master, David Snelson, calls it "ignorant and selfish".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-10852394

People do have a right to protest in the UK and it would be a sad day should that right be curtailed.

But how far should the 'right to protest' extend? Do those who exercise their right to protest enjoy any exemption from liability for injury (physical or financial) they may cause to another?

Should they be so exempted?

I won't be going to the Olympics, so I've no personal axe to grind - but no doubt there are a number of people on this forum who have purchased tickets for various events and booked transport and accommodation to allow them to attend those events.

Should a protestor (or a group of protestors) disrupt one or a number of events and should an event be postponed (which might make it impossible or at least very expensive for somebody who had bought a ticket to see the event) should the protestors be liable for the cost they have caused those frustrated spectators?

If you have bought tickets, arranged travel and accommodation and when you get there you find the event has been postponed (or even cancelled) because of the actions of protestors and you can no longer see the event, how would that make you feel?

Would you say: "They have an inalienable right to protest! The fact that they have cost me a significant amount of money is irrelevant."

Or would you say: "They have a right to protest, but they have no right to cause me a financial injury. I want them to compensate me."

What should the Police do?

If a protest should start and should it appear that the protest is going to disrupt the games, should the Police intervene, arrest the protestors, charge them with a Public Order offence and remove them?

Or should they say: "These people have a right to protest. If it interrupts the games, so be it."

I don't suppose that the UK will be in the running to get another Olympic games during my lifetime, but if there was to be a significant protest and if the Games were to be disrupted significantly, what do you think the UK's chances of getting any other World-class event would be?

Archived