End to the war on drugs? A new era

Actually if you expand that, heroin is also legal in this country with a valid prescription.

It's still listed in the formulary, but I'm not aware of any circumstances under which it is still prescribed. Certainly not for drug addiction, which is the one thing for which it's most useful.

It's still listed in the formulary, but I'm not aware of any circumstances under which it is still prescribed. Certainly not for drug addiction, which is the one thing for which it's most useful.

It's still given regularly in palliative care and in some spinal anaesthetics, it's also given sometimes for severe pain, chronic and acute. It was given routinely subcutaneously for post operative pain up to around five years ago when a flood hampered the supply chain and then most NHS trusts changed their subcutaneous protocols to morphine.

It is known as Diamorphine though.

No. As long as the USA maintains a Prohibition stance, the rest of the world doesn't get much choice in the matter.

Why doesn't the rest of the world get much chance? The US does not set the policy for another country's laws sanctioning or outlawing drugs.

Some Asian countries execute people found importing drugs while on the other hand you can go to Amsterdam and stick needles in your arms until it has more bleddy holes in it than a vegetable strainer.

We have our laws here and other countries have theirs.

Morphine is legal in this country; so is tramadol. Nobody has a human right to them. Why would you expect them to have a human right to heroin?

Morphine as I understand it is highly addicitve. During my stint in hospital a few years back I had access if needed to morphine to deaden post operative pain.

Every time I used it the computer in the room registered it. I was also woken up every hour between 10:00 - 05:30 for a blood pressure check because I was told morphine can effect several things in the body.

Dangerous shytte to mess around with as a recreational hobby

Morphine as I understand it is highly addicitve. During my stint in hospital a few years back I had access if needed to morphine to deaden post operative pain.

Every time I used it the computer in the room registered it. I was also woken up every hour between 10:00 - 05:30 for a blood pressure check because I was told morphine can effect several things in the body.

Dangerous shytte to mess around with as a recreational hobby

Certainly, as a past time it's certainly something to be avoided at all costs. What I believe is that our current policy is driving the addicts into the hands of the drug dealers.

Interestingly if I remember correctly Diamorphine, the medical term for heroin isn't licensed to be used in the USA under any circumstances.

Me too. I was on morphine for about 6 days, and I was still in agony. I wasn't addicted though. It takes a long time to build up a strong addiction to opiates.

Me too. I was on morphine for about 6 days, and I was still in agony. I wasn't addicted though. It takes a long time to build up a strong addiction to opiates.

You're right. There is no evidence that short term use of opiods for severe pain leads to a dependancy.

Archived