Penistone Road cricket ground.

I have a map of the area in 1905 which shows a cricket ground near where Evans Halshaw is now.Does anyone know anything about it and when the land was built on?

Nearest would be The Cambridge beerhouse, big patch of open land around it.

Hi,

As a kid, I was once taken to see a cricket match on a ground in that area but it wasn't exactly on Penistone Road. This would be in the late 1940s. You entered the ground from Herries Road (South?) and I believe it belong to the sports club at Easterbrook and Alcard's, the well known local small tool makers.

I seem to remember there was also a restaurant (does Kitson's sound familiar?) near there at the time. Possibly across Herries Road from the ground.

All a long time ago.

PS. Just had a look on Google Earth and the ground I remember could have been somewhere near the corner of Herries Road South and Rawson Springs (Lane?). Obviously, this area has become quite built-up since my day.

Regards

I think you are right on all counts. I know the cricket ground belonged to some steelworks or other, and Kitsons had a garage and cafe on the corner of Herries Rd and Penistone Rd. The cafe was later replaced by Bramalls scrap yard, who had a whole pile of scrap cars on the piece of land towards the 5 arches. Used to play in them when we were kids, imagining we were actually driving.

Hi,

As a kid, I was once taken to see a cricket match on a ground in that area but it wasn't exactly on Penistone Road. This would be in the late 1940s. You entered the ground from Herries Road (South?) and I believe it belong to the sports club at Easterbrook and Alcard's, the well known local small tool makers.

I seem to remember there was also a restaurant (does Kitson's sound familiar?) near there at the time. Possibly across Herries Road from the ground.

All a long time ago.

PS. Just had a look on Google Earth and the ground I remember could have been somewhere near the corner of Herries Road South and Rawson Springs (Lane?). Obviously, this area has become quite built-up since my day.

Regards

That would have led to Club Mill Road ( used to be able to drive right through )past the old allotments back of Bassetts and the wrong side of the Don for the cricket ground in question.

This from, A Sheffield Victorian Diary seems close enough.

"1850 July 29th.

Richard Manks completed walking 1,000 miles in 1,000 successive hours at the Barrack Tavern Cricket Ground. A silver cup was presented to Manks by the non-commissioned officers & privates of the 1st Royal Dragoons."

Archived