Wadsley/Loxley Common

I always thought that that large stone wall looked like some kind of shooting range place to put a target or something.. It is certainly an odd feature, I haven't been up there for around 25 years but I can still remember it vividly.

It was part of the shooting range which existed there and used by soldiers who were stationed at Hillsborough Barracks. If you walk along the footpath that runs beside the golf course, you can make out the remains of the butts.

A place I remember as a kid was near to the wall. We used to call it the Hermit's Cave.

It was a pile of large rocks which seemed to be arranged to form a chamber with a hole in the top.

Outside it was a tree with a dry stone wall forming a small 'sheepfold'.

I often wonder if it was an ancient place or simply a natural formation used as a shelter.

Does anyone know anything about it?

Happy Days! PopT

It was part of the shooting range which existed there and used by soldiers who were stationed at Hillsborough Barracks. If you walk along the footpath that runs beside the golf course, you can make out the remains of the butts.

Any idea what its purpose was in relation to a shooting ? Theredo not appear to be any marks on it.

I wondered if it was used to practice scaling walls.

Archived