The problems of Christian fundamentalism in the US

and how it permeates through the political and legal systems.

This documentary is 2 hours long but is worth watching as it highlights how religion is used as an umbrella or smokescreen as a cover to justify racism, homophobia, misogyny and general all round bigotry and prejudice.

I don't get why people use the abbreviation 'xtian' for Christian. I'm an atheist myself, but it seems infantile to try and demean the religion by giving it this meaningless abbreviation.

Guest sibon
I don't get why people use the abbreviation 'xtian' for Christian. I'm an atheist myself, but it seems infantile to try and demean the religion by giving it this meaningless abbreviation.

I think you answered your own question there.

It is a pretty infantile, petty and disrespectful thing to do. It also distracts from the substantive part of the argument.

You'll be given the usual explantion about the abbreviation which I can't fully remember anyway, something to do with x being pronounced chris in some alphabet or language or other.

At the end of the day, Christianity is so named after a person, and his name wasn't X, it was Christ.

Archived