The problems of Christian fundamentalism in the US

and how it permeates through the political and legal systems.

This documentary is 2 hours long but is worth watching as it highlights how religion is used as an umbrella or smokescreen as a cover to justify racism, homophobia, misogyny and general all round bigotry and prejudice.

Who made the programme and what are their reasons for making it?

But - getting back to the OP - it isn't a problem about 'Christian Fundamentalism' anywhere.

It's a disjoined incoherent list of posts which report on 'alleged' fundamentalism.

If it exists, then no doubt the fundamentalists enjoy it. Those who happen to be where it does exist, anyway.

If it doesn't exist (or if it doesn't exist where you live) who gives a damn?

I don't get why people use the abbreviation 'xtian' for Christian. I'm an atheist myself, but it seems infantile to try and demean the religion by giving it this meaningless abbreviation.

I think you answered your own question there.

It is a pretty infantile, petty and disrespectful thing to do. It also distracts from the substantive part of the argument.

Whether it's infantile, petty, demeaning and disrespectful is entirely subjective. I happen to find the more 'normal' spelling of the word repulsive and unacceptable, but of course, each to their own.

What I find infantile, petty, demeaning and disrespectful are people who demand respect for following the tenets of a 2000 year old set of fairy stories that support and encourage slavery, misogyny, homophobia, racism and sectarianism.

So I will keep using the term xtian and I guess xtians will just have to keep getting offended.:)

Who made the programme and what are their reasons for making it?

To highlight the problems of xtian fundamentalism in US society, the most economically powerful nation (just) on the planet?:huh:

All the info is there under the video or in the documentary itself if you care to watch.

Whether it's infantile, petty, demeaning and disrespectful is entirely subjective. I happen to find the more 'normal' spelling of the word repulsive and unacceptable, but of course, each to their own.

What I find infantile, petty, demeaning and disrespectful are people who demand respect for following the tenets of a 2000 year old set of fairy stories that support and encourage slavery, misogyny, homophobia, racism and sectarianism.

So I will keep using the term xtian and I guess xtians will just have to keep getting offended.:)

What are you? a humanist or a humourist.:hihi:

What about the UK? The official religion is Anglican and the Queen defender of the faith.

What does that mean in this day and age.?

It all sounds more and more ridiculous since Anglicanism is now only one of several faiths.

Perhaps it's time the designation was changed to "Defender of all the faiths"

Archived