Japanese culture what is wrong with them?

Where did i defend it? You asked whether there were any other countries that did this. I gave you one. The UK.

We eat oysters alive. We boil lobsters alive.

You seem to be ignoring that fact and concentrating on the eastern variety - any reason?

I think you would like there to be a reason. :roll:

Precisely - the OP seems on a mission to criticise the Japanese and is ignoring the fact we do exactly the same thing.

I think that it's easier for some to empathise with a fish than it is a crustacean, so maybe that explains the reaction?

Precisely - the OP seems on a mission to criticise the Japanese and is ignoring the fact we do exactly the same thing.

Blimey I thought "whataboutism" was confined to threads about race...Unless they're Muslim creatures that is....:hihi:

Thought I'd have a quick read about this Ikizukuri as it's first I've heard of it.....

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1582554/Japans-ikizukuri-fish-beats-with-freshness.html

Nice. :/

Not my thing at all, but then neither is fishing as a hobby. There will be a degree of suffering in all meat meal production, don't try and convince yourself that it's only in other cultures.

That live fish dish does seem excessively cruel for the sake of it :(

I wouldn't enjoy eating live fish. Likewise, I also wouldn't enjoy boiling live lobster, crab and shrimp - like our "civilised" nations do.

When you put lobsters and crabs into boiling water, they die within a couple of seconds. But:

If you're going to boil a lobster (if you're lucky enough to get your hands on one ;)) put it to sleep first.

- That way if you're boiling a whole potful (as I used to have to do when I worked in a restaurant kitchen as a kid) the lobsters don't suffer, nor do they move their tails vigorously and splash you with boiling water!

To put a lobster to sleep, stand it on its head on a table and stroke its tail gently (curving the tail under the body.) You only have to stroke it a couple of times and it will go to sleep. - When you drop it into the water, it'll be dead before it wakes up.

If you've got a lot of lobsters and you don't want to cook them all off, you can always stand a sleeping lobster on its head (with the pincers folded in front, to balance it) on a restaurant table.

When the customers come in, those who don't know that lobsters are blue before they're cooked probably won't have a clue what they are, but few of the rest will believe that the creature is alive.

Straighten the tail out (with the front end of the lobster pointing towards the customer) then rap it (not too hard) on the tail with the back of a knife.

It will wake up ... and it will be 'somewhat aggressive' when it does so.:hihi::hihi:

We actually went to japan some years ago, and I can tell you they eat fish while it is still alive. We went to a wedding and the first course was fish, still wriggling on the plate. We later went into a road side cafe and had fish cooked. The fish was taken from the tank alive and skewered with a stick, still alive, and placed over the flame, still alive. We all watched in horror as the poor thing struggled and its eyes turned white as the heat cooked them, whilst all the time still alive. Needless to say, no one ate the fish and we all ordered something else, already dead.

Do you agree it is their culture and should not be interfered with? Do any other countrys have such an appetite they have to eat food while it's alive?

How is it any worse than taking fish out of the sea and leaving them to suffocate on the floor of a boat?

Isn't the real problem here that in the 'west' we are so far removed from the food chain? When we buy meat or fish its usually prepacked, sealed and precisely measure out into nice clean trays - all the blood and skin removed so that its unrecognisable as part of the animal's body.

Why is it any more 'civilised' to have someone else take care of the killing and butchering?

We actually went to japan some years ago, and I can tell you they eat fish while it is still alive. We went to a wedding and the first course was fish, still wriggling on the plate. We later went into a road side cafe and had fish cooked. The fish was taken from the tank alive and skewered with a stick, still alive, and placed over the flame, still alive. We all watched in horror as the poor thing struggled and its eyes turned white as the heat cooked them, whilst all the time still alive. Needless to say, no one ate the fish and we all ordered something else, already dead.

So you rejected a fish that you watched being killed, in favour of one which had been taken out of the water and deprived of oxygen until it suffocated to death? How is that any better?

I don't know about that squid, but live fish is eaten in Japan and yes, it's gross. I couldn't do it.

It's called Ikizukuri and it's definitely cruel.

Not so sure that it's cruel it's commonplace in the animal world and having the means to cook them after allowing them to die on the deck of a trawler aint exactly humanity at its best.

Archived