Bread makers. Worth it or not?

I am considering buying a bread maker, mainly because I want to start making my own pizzas and I am a little too lazy to knead it myself and also too much hard work involved. I will use it to make my own bread has well but its more for kneading dough.

Was just wondering if someone could advise me on whether they are any good and maybe advise me on a specific machine I could buy?

Thanks in advance for any worthwhile responses.

Ash

I think they're good. I've got a Cuisinart in the US (I don't know whether they're available in the UK) and a Morphy-Richards that I use in Germany.

If you do get one, you might want to look for one with a mixing paddle which folds flat at the end of the mixing cycle (the paddle is hinged, rotates clockwise during the mixing cycles, but just before it starts to cook rotates a couple of turns anti-clockwise and folds the paddle flat at the bottom of the loaf (instead of leaving it in the loaf) If the paddle folds, when you take the cooked loaf out of the breadmaker you don't end up with a large hole in the bottom of it.)

I prefer a breadmaker to an oven, because it uses less power and once the ingredients are in, you don't have to do anything to it.

I think they're good. I've got a Cuisinart in the US (I don't know whether they're available in the UK) and a Morphy-Richards that I use in Germany.

If you do get one, you might want to look for one with a mixing paddle which folds flat at the end of the mixing cycle (the paddle is hinged, rotates clockwise during the mixing cycles, but just before it starts to cook rotates a couple of turns anti-clockwise and folds the paddle flat at the bottom of the loaf (instead of leaving it in the loaf) If the paddle folds, when you take the cooked loaf out of the breadmaker you don't end up with a large hole in the bottom of it.)

I prefer a breadmaker to an oven, because it uses less power and once the ingredients are in, you don't have to do anything to it.

What model morphy richards do you have?

It's a Morphy-Richards 'Fastbake ll'. Stainless steel.

It's about 4 years old now and I think it's been superseded.

This one is the nearest I could find on their website. (It's a bit better than mine ... mine doesn't have a fruit & nut dispenser - it beeps when it's time to add extras.

Archived