Bread makers. Worth it or not?

I have a Breville home bake model and it's pretty good. I use it at least a couple of times a week for white and wholemeal loaves. The bread is always fresh and yummy. Once your bread is cool if you wrap it in a clean tea towel, then keep it in a bag (I use the bread storage bag from Lakeland - £7 I think it was) you will find it stays fresh for a few days.

The only downside to my model is that you can't remove the blade from the bread pan. I have a lovely book full of different recipes for a bread maker, and a lot of them state to remove the blade first. I guess I could just go ahead anyway, it just wouldn't come out quite as nice looking!

If you wanted to make things other than bread in it I would strongly recommend a model with a removable blade.

I love mine- my grandad bought it me a few weeks ago, its a Morphy Richards one. Its got loads of different settings, but so far Ive just been making the standard white load, breadcakes and pizza dough. I want to have a go at some bagels

Definately worth it

Complete waste of money

Maybe you just bought the wrong bread maker? I had the model down from what I have now first. After it got damaged beyond repair following a fall out of a high cupboard I bought a Morpy Richards model that I just didn't get on with.

I would buy second hand first to make sure you get on with the model, Ebay is good if you search within your location. It may take a few weeks to find one in the area. You can always upgrade later.

....and quicker

Maybe you just bought the wrong bread maker? I had the model down from what I have now first. After it got damaged beyond repair following a fall out of a high cupboard I bought a Morpy Richards model that I just didn't get on with.

I would buy second hand first to make sure you get on with the model, Ebay is good if you search within your location. It may take a few weeks to find one in the area. You can always upgrade later.

Complete waste of money a bread tin costs £1 from the poundshops a bit of kneading and you will get a far better loaf than from any breadmaker.and quicker and cheaper

They're ok but I wouldn't pay more than £40 for one. You can make it by hand too but it's a lot of work; it's better to just flick a switch.

It's not hard work at all.

Mix the ingredients, leave to rise .Knead for 10 minutes, that's the most energetic bit. leave to rise, knock back, leave to rise and bake.

I've had a bread maker and dumped it. one of those machines you use once in a blue moon for £40.

It's not hard work at all.

Mix the ingredients, leave to rise .Knead for 10 minutes, that's the most energetic bit. leave to rise, knock back, leave to rise and bake.

I've had a bread maker and dumped it. one of those machines

And that is exactly why I love mine. It kneads and cooks it all perfect. Whenever I've tried to make it by hand, it always comes out too heavy. Probably not kneading it for long enough

And the pizza dough/garlic dough balls ive been making have been gorgeous

Really cant fault mine

I'd love to have a bread maker- both my sister and my mum have one and no longer buy bread from the shops. My sister's wholemeal sunflower granary is fabulous!

The issues for me are two fold. I have no space in my kitchen cupboards to store another bit of kit and don't have the worktop space to have it out constantly, and the other issue is that I find slicing bread almost impossible because of my gammy arm, and I've tried (and failed!) with lots of bits of kit for slicing.

So, the same reason that I can't make it manually also applies if I were to make a loaf in a breadmaker- I guess that's me back to buying sliced loaves from a shop then :(

Archived