Bread makers. Worth it or not?

It's easy to use, and really quick to set up. However, even on the short cycle it takes about 3 hours to finish a loaf from start to end, so you really need to plan ahead -

Ive got family coming over tomorrow evening, we're out in the day but I'm sad enough to have got the timer plug out for mine...

Good on ya Cat. Don't forget to put the paddle / mixer in before you go out for the day though!

My most disappointing bread-making experience happened when I forgot this small, but vital element......

I'd got home from holiday at some daft hour in the morning. Thinking I was oh-so-clever, I popped my ingrdients in the bread machine before heading off for a few hours kip, dreaming of fresh bread from breakfast.

I awoke (ravenous) to the heady aroma of fresh baked bread, only to find that I had in fact, a tin of hard-baked, un-mixed flour. Gutting.

Was just wondering if someone could advise me on whether they are any good and maybe advise me on a specific machine I could buy?

Have you settled on any particular breadmaker yet?

Whilst I have heard the Panasonic machines are supposed to be the best, they can cost £100+ more than the Argos Value one we've got. I am extremely happy with it and can't imagine what improvements would be seen with the Panasonic. The only difference in terms of spec that I've noticed is ours doesn't have a tray for auto-dispensing of seeds etc, but they're supposed to be temperamental anyway.

Have you settled on any particular breadmaker yet?

Whilst I have heard the Panasonic machines are supposed to be the best, they can cost £100+ more than the Argos Value one we've got. I am extremely happy with it and can't imagine what improvements would be seen with the Panasonic. The only difference in terms of spec that I've noticed is ours doesn't have a tray for auto-dispensing of seeds etc, but they're supposed to be temperamental anyway.

I have bought a morphy richards fastbake from jtf. Cost £36 inc vat. Seemed like a good price. Not used it yet so cant comment on what its like at the minute.

• 4 months later...
Originally Posted by banjodeano

you can but a loaf of bread from Netto for 50p

Netto have pulled out of the UK, most of their shops are ASDAs now.

Shame, I used to work in the South Road, Walkley one, was a good gang of people there at the time.

We had one and found it more expensive by the time you'd bought ingredients and considered the amount of electricity used.

Breadmakers make great pizza base dough, but you can just buy the sachets of ready mixed flour, add water and it takes maybe 3 minutes to "knead". You don't need to knead them, more like just mix it up, for it to make a decent pizza base - the quality of the base will mainly depend on the topping, temperature of the oven and whether or not you stonebake it.

That aside, breadmakers make decent enough bread quite cheaply and easily, and if you get one with a timer, you'll wake up to the smell of freshly baked bread and wonder why you hadn't bought one sooner.

Archived