Marriage..who's really happy?

Nope. Marriage isn't the only means of having a relationship. You think by not being married you have to instinctively be single?:roll:

I suspect that the OP wasn't specifically interested in the institution of marriage, it was just shorthand for a long term (permanent) monogamous relationship wasn't it? Whether that be legally married or not doesn't really alter anything, so if you accept that premise then the alternative to that is to be single (or only have casual relationships).

You need to man up and grow a pair mate.

It's not possible for them to grow a pair, they gave away their only pair on the day of the wedding in a little bag tied with a ribbon, that's the deal.

I suspect that the OP wasn't specifically interested in the institution of marriage, it was just shorthand for a long term (permanent) monogamous relationship wasn't it? Whether that be legally married or not doesn't really alter anything, so if you accept that premise then the alternative to that is to be single (or only have casual relationships).

Or to have serious non-monogamous relationships.

Or other more unusual arrangements, but it takes longer to write down every unlikely possibility doesn't it.

It does. But in the context of this discussion it's worth mentioning that there are alternatives. Especially when people seem so gloomy about long-term monogamy/marriage.

Known each other 56 years, been married 42 of those this year, never wanted to stray or be apart. We have different hobbies but, we do a lot of things together because we want to.

We don't have to argue about anything because we discuss things and reach a decision, if it's not entirely what the other wants that's fine because we accept that we're going to differ because we're male and female and we're human.

We talk all the time we're together and we laugh an awful lot.

When we first started out together nothing was quite as disposable as it is nowadays so we made sure that our decisions were final i.e. we really got to know each other well before we reached that decision. We got engaged, married then had children in that order, no secrets, no baggage from former relationships. Over the years we've had illness, redundancy, financial worries etc., that's life but, never once has the other partner been blamed or felt inadequate.

In my opinion, relationships now are treated like todays mobile 'phones, everyone's waiting for a better model.

I wasn't happy in my marriage, it was godawful which is why it ended, I was happy single but sometimes missed the nice bits of a relationship, now i'm in a relationship I sometimes miss the nice bit of being single.

I can't figure me out :huh:

To the OP, how often are you happy with your relationship, can this change at all? If not, better to get out and be happy single, or with someone else.

Just really be clear on what you want as others have said grass always looks greener on the other side, but with any partner it still comes down to the day to day basics in life in the end!

It's not always women that do this, my oh does it he asks me my opinion but then sulks if I don't agree with him.

We have been together 17 years now and I still refuse to just give in because he sulks, you have to just stick with the imperfections of your partner sometimes, after all none of us are perfect!

Known each other 56 years, been married 42 of those this year, never wanted to stray or be apart. We have different hobbies but, we do a lot of things together because we want to.

We don't have to argue about anything because we discuss things and reach a decision, if it's not entirely what the other wants that's fine because we accept that we're going to differ because we're male and female and we're human.

We talk all the time we're together and we laugh an awful lot.

When we first started out together nothing was quite as disposable as it is nowadays so we made sure that our decisions were final i.e. we really got to know each other well before we reached that decision. We got engaged, married then had children in that order, no secrets, no baggage from former relationships. Over the years we've had illness, redundancy, financial worries etc., that's life but, never once has the other partner been blamed or felt inadequate.

In my opinion, relationships now are treated like todays mobile 'phones, everyone's waiting for a better model.

Aye me too, 42 years long. Sound like you have a good woman there.

Would we marry the same woman today, knowing what we do after years of marriage to her. MMMmmm, makes me think?.

I suppose the same question could be asked of the woman you are wed to. Would she or wouldn't she, I wonder.

Angel.

Archived