A little question about creationism.

A good science teacher would not present Crationism as an alternative 'theory' to evolution. Creationism has no body of evidence to support it and as such isn't a scientific theory.

Stop getting wound up.

Who said it was a 'scientific' theory?

Who said it had anything to support it?

The good teachers that I know are able to let the students see how evolutionary science makes total sense.

Do Geography classes ban the teaching that early man thought that the world was flat?

Any teacher worth their salt, when teaching about evolution would mention that alternative theories exist.

Guess what? I know some good teachers that do so.

Perhaps you need to widen your experience before sharing its limitations with us.

You know of no teachers that teach creationism as an alternative theory for any teacher that has a good understanding of science knows that their job would be on the line if they did so for students need a good, clear understanding of evolution for them to gain a GCSE and if they were to muddy the waters by teaching the 'alternative theory' of creationism this would soon be flagged up as a problem. Although you may know the odd teacher who might be prepared to wind you up by telling you porkies just like you do when you come on here.:P

Stop getting wound up.

Who said it was a 'scientific' theory?

Who said it had anything to support it?

The good teachers that I know are able to let the students see how evolutionary science makes total sense.

I'm not in the least wound up.

There is no debate between alternative theories. In the context of the science classroom where the use of the word 'theory' is distinct from a layperson's understanding of that term, Creationsim isn't a theory. It might be used as an illustrative example of what doesn't constitute a scientific theory, but no good science teacher would use it as an example of an 'alternative' to the theory of evolution.

Do Geography classes ban the teaching that early man thought that the world was flat?

Do they offer up the 'flat world' argument as a credible alternative theory to current scientific understanding?

The definition of creationism according to Dictionary.com is:

Lately, there seems to be an amount of talk regarding whether or not creationism should be taught in schools. Thankfully, the government appear to be seeing the light on the issue. Linky

This does raise a question. It's clear that some people would like to see creationism taught in schools and I'm sure the fight will go on. If the fight is to go on, should all advocates of creationism be barred from using the products of scientific understandings. E.g. If a creationist contracts a disease, they can't see a doctor?

I think it would be a good experiment in natural selection. See what I did there?

Why on Earth should we ban some people from using scientific products due to their beliefs? I doubt that would even be allowed.

What is it that bothers the unbelievers so much about those who do believe?

When the believers try and make others believe also.

Thread after thread of the same Let's-bash-Christianity argument.

Believe what you wish; I'd appreciate it if you left me to believe what I believe.

If you actually read the threads instead of taking immediate offence, very few posts are actually "Christian bashing", most are just asking questions and debating.

The evolution thing also has it's own brick wall. Birds. How many creatures fell off trees or cliffs before they evolved to having wings ?

You're assuming that creatures evolved wings just to help them survive falling off things, I think there's more to it than that!

1. There are differing levels of creationism. Some more acceptable than others.

I think it's more probable that there are differing levels of acceptance in people.

2. Good schools do teach about the existence of creationism as a belief along with many other beliefs, mainly in social studies/RE classes but sometimes in science classes.

3. Those 'good' schools also teach students how to evaluate the information that is placed before them, to analyse it and come to rational judgements.

Evidently I went to a BAD school !

No teacher that I know does teach "the alternative theory" in a way that you seem to want to insinuate.

They inform their students of the existence of of other ideas.

I'm not insinuating. I'm stating explicitly in response to this part of your previous post:

Any teacher worth their salt, when teaching about evolution would mention that alternative theories exist.

that a science teacher wouldn't offer up Creationism as a credible idea, theory or any other form of legitimate alternative to evolution.

What has Christianity done for the world?

yet it was also christians who transported african slaves to america and fought wars against themselves to ensure they remained slaves.

it was christians who limited the rights of workers reducing them to little more than slaves even when slavery as such had been abolished.

it was christians who imposed their beliefs on the rest of the world at the point of the sword and the barrel of the gun.

it was christians who persecuted people based on the colour of their skin.

it was christians who kept women as second class citizens for almost two thousand years.

it was also christians who fought two world wars which killed millions.

No teacher that I know does teach "the alternative theory" in a way that you seem to want to insinuate.

They inform their students of the existence of of other ideas.

The point is that, unlike what you say in your statement below, there are no alternative theories that exist. There are people who believe differently but nothing that even approaches what might be termed a scientific theory http://www.fsteiger.com/theory.html which comes about after careful scrutiny using the scientific method.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcavPAFiG14

Archived