Memories of Gray St or Pye Bank School in the War Years

Jozafeen

My Mum lived at the lower end of Gray Street and went to Pye Bank School during WWII.

As I keep telling her how marvellous SF is for stories and bits of history I thought I'd ask if anyone here has memories of the area at that time or of Rock Street where my father lived. I know he used to go on about the barrage balloons up there, firewatching and so on.

Mum's maiden name was Joyce Green and she'd love to know if there are any of her schoolfriends around on the mighty tinterweb!

Originally posted by Cycleracer

My Aunt lived on Gray Strret, she is called Joan Green.

Although that was later when the maissonettes where built.

Was she from around there originally? I know Mum's family were bombed out of their house in the war.

Originally posted by Jozafeen

Was she from around there originally? I know Mum's family were bombed out of their house in the war.

We all come from Fowler Street originally so yes you could say we came from that area.

Peppermint can you email me a pic of that shool trip by any chance, sorry did not read this until Boxing day.

Originally posted by Cycleracer

We all come from Fowler Street originally so yes you could say we came from that area.

Peppermint can you email me a pic of that shool trip by any chance, sorry did not read this until Boxing day.

no probs..When I have been to father inlaws to pic it up (hope he hasnt thrown it.) i will scan it and email it. Iin the next few days.

peppermint

I started at Pye Bank Infants in '38. I lived in Fox St, thats the one below Gray St. I guess I'd be about seven years old when old Adolf came after us, that'd be about 1940, just before Christmas. You'll all remember blitz night (or nights). A bomb was dropped on the old gardens opposite the school just behind a couple of houses. It wrecked the houses and blew all the windows out of the school, all the kids were dispersed to other schools or into peoples front rooms in small classes. I went into a front room with about a dozen others for a start until the powers that were found me a place at Pitsmoor School, near the Toll Bar.

The names I remember from the front room days were, Wilf Durham, Ray Walker, (Fox St). Rex Naylor, (Grey St). A girl, surname Candlemass (Rock St). Shirley Brown,(Fox St). Betty? Theaker,(Fox St).

Archived