Memories of Gray St or Pye Bank School in the War Years

Jozafeen

I started at Pye Bank School in January 1942 and left in July 1948. Is this about the time you were looking for ?

When I started at the school, the front of the building, facing Andover Street, was still being repaired from the damage caused by a bomb in the Blitz. This had destroyed several houses on the other side of the street: houses that backed-up to the Old Gardens.

There were two girls in my classes (1945-1948) who I think lived on the lower section of Grey Street. One was called Linda - can't remember her last name - and the other was called Janet Hodgitt(?)

After leaving Pye Bank, I never went back. I only ever met about two or three lads who had been in my classes, and that was all before 1960. Nothing since.

Not meeting people is hardly suprising for I haven't lived in Sheffield since 1965 and only make occasional visits .

Regards

My Grandma Fox lived at the corner of Gray Street and Andover Street just below Pye Bank School. My parents had the next house down Andover Street. I was 4 years old at the time of the Blitz, sheltering in the cellar of the house during the bombing (which was too close for comfort!) We had to live downstairs in the house for months afterwards with no slates on the roof.

A family from Gray Street were killed when their Anderson shelter was flattened by a bomb.

The bomb craters in the "old gardens" later became a playground for us kids.

I went to Pye Bank School from 1941 to 1947. The headmaster was Mr. Speight (who had to cane me on two painful occasions). I remember some of the kids' names - Alan Bradley, Barry Meach, David Smith, Albert Morley, Roy Bentley, Shirley Emmett, Marion Greaves, Eileen Marriot, Josie Buccieri and Pat Brown. Another friend, Frankie Hewitt, was given the job of ringing the school bell in the mornings, as soon as this was allowed again after the war.

I have only happy memories of Pye Bank School (apart from the cane), and the "old-fashioned" teaching methods gave me a good start in life.

Didn't know Josie Buccieri went to Pyebank. Do you remember the Naylor family kids, Rex and Pete, they lived just down the 'rocky' end of Gray Street, be more or less opposite your Grandma'. The name Emmet rings bells though, did she have an older sister called Norma? Truth to tell, she had two mates, Jean Goult and Ann Duty, and good old Speighty had to give me the 'stick' one time for putting carbide in their inkwells.

I quite liked Speighty though, he had a humorous turn of phrase that appealed to me even then.

I remember a kid called Raymond Bairstow, trying to get out of doing PT by saying he had a bad heart. Speighty looked at him and said, ' Poor old Bears toe.' Well I laughed like the proverbial drain, the only kid that did really, everybody else just sniggered. I think I was his only real audience, didn't stop him caning me though.

Hi, Texas.

Regarding Josie Buccieri - Her parents had a shop on Rock Street. I don't know if they were bakers, but I often went to their shop to get my Grandma's bread. It was a lovely golden loaf, shaped like a flattened rugby ball, but even "ordinary" bread was better in those days.

• 7 months later...

Archived