Memories of Gray St or Pye Bank School in the War Years

Jozafeen

Must have been a lot of familes call Green on Gray St as my mothers maiden name was Kathie Green but i dont know of a Joyce or a Joan in the family?

Was your mother's married name Noble by any chance?

If so then my mum Joyce and her are cousins, though she'd know mum's elder sister Dorothy better as apparently they were in the Civil Defence together. She also had another sister, Nora.

Was your Grandmother also Kate and the local tailoress and dressmaker? My mum remembers her very well for her ability to look at any outfit and copy it so lots of Pitsmoor girls were decked out in London fashions you couldn't even buy in Sheffield at the time!

Hi Jozafeen

I have old photos of the civil defence crews but the only person i can put a name to is my mum ( reading your your mail again it makes more sense now )

and i do recale an Aunty Dorothy and Aunty Norah and a cousin whose name escapes me ( bad memory ) possibley Elaine?

My Aunt lived on Gray Strret, she is called Joan Green.

Although that was later when the maissonettes where built.

Hi Paul

Sorry the Greens in my family were on Gray St well before the Maissonettes not long after the war.

Hi Paul

Sorry the Greens in my family were on Gray St well before the Maissonettes not long after the war.

Hi syrup.

I always thought that the bottom side of Gray Street was fields before the maissonettes were built.

I lived on Andover Drive, can you tell me what stood there before it was built.

Where the school is I always thought it was just fields but someone mentioned once a castle or large house stood next to the school where the multi storie flats stood.

Hi syrup.

I always thought that the bottom side of Gray Street was fields before the maissonettes were built.

I lived on Andover Drive, can you tell me what stood there before it was built.

Where the school is I always thought it was just fields but someone mentioned once a castle or large house stood next to the school where the multi storie flats stood.

do you mean this castle?

http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/picturesheffield.pl?_cgifunction=form&_layout=picturesheffield&keyval=sheff.refno=s05926

cos the notes say

Part of Tower House which was situated between Pyebank, (later known as Pitsmoor Road) and junction of Gray Street and Fox Street

and of course, you'll well remember this:-

http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/picturesheffield.pl?_cgifunction=form&_layout=picturesheffield&keyval=sheff.refno=u01765 (sadly all gone, now... :( )

PT

Plain Talker, I like the second picture which shows Pitsmoor Rd and looks like it has just been built, I noticed the car pound on the right which at first I thought it may be the enterance to Stanley works, but on closer inspection is to close to the road.

I think it may be the builders pound where they kept all the materials which was certainnly taken in the 60s around 1963/64.

The turret is interesting to and wonder if it stood at the top of Foxhill between Rock St and Fox Street on the corner of Gray Street.

Plain Talker, I like the second picture which shows Pitsmoor Rd and looks like it has just been built, I noticed the car pound on the right which at first I thought it may be the enterance to Stanley works, but on closer inspection is to close to the road.

I think it may be the builders pound where they kept all the materials which was certainnly taken in the 60s around 1963/64.

The turret is interesting to and wonder if it stood at the top of Foxhill between Rock St and Fox Street on the corner of Gray Street.

yes, that second photo definitely looks as if it was taken in, perhaps, the late sixties, because the flats and maisonettes certainly do look "all shiny and new", don't they?

The maisonettes were quite roomy, and were not too badly thought out, as well as being very convenient to get to town. It's a pity the area got that bad reputation, and folk wouldn't live on there. the area went to rack and ruin.

I remember you and jt mentioning that you lived on Andover... my house (well, maisonette), 20 yrs ago was bang smack beneath the first high-rise, opposite the community centre on andover drive. I moved off there just as they had cleared the high-rise for demolition,

Archived