Mountain bike hydraulic disk brake

Hi,

I have a MTB with Avid Elixir hydraulic disk brakes.For some reason the front brake has suddenly stopped working.I have done the usual adjustment methods.It seems the caliper behind the brake pads is not moving :help:.Does anyone who genuinely knows, please advise me what maybe wrong.

Thanks in advance

Hi,

I have a MTB with Avid Elixir hydraulic disk brakes.For some reason the front brake has suddenly stopped working.I have done the usual adjustment methods.It seems the caliper behind the brake pads is not moving :help:.Does anyone who genuinely knows, please advise me what maybe wrong.

Thanks in advance

I've had a similar problem recently, with an old set of avid juicy 3s.

In my case, a bit of WD40 sprayed around the piston improved the movement situation somewhat, but then I found a crack in the piston which was releasing brake fluid; so there was minimal pressure in the line, resulting in very floppy brake levers.

In your case it might be that you just need to bleed the brakes and replace/top up the fluid, but it's worth having a good scout about for signs of leakage, especially if you do heavy off-roading.

If you fancy doing it yourself, bleed kits are about 20 quid.

I have had several sets of avid brakes and they have all done the same thing. They are cheaply made. They seize and as far as I can tell there's not a massive amount you can do about it - other than religiously clean them after every ride.

Don't need a £20 bleed it, don't need fancy oils.

Car spares

If your brakes have synthetic fluid which is dayglow green, buy citron hydronic oil which is about £5 a ltr.

If your brakes use dot fluid, then car spares again and buy dot4 which is about £3 for 500ml.

To bleed , again you can buy a bleed kit which is a rubber tube and a nipple for a little over £2.

That's what I use on my 6 piston brakes.

Don't need a £20 bleed it, don't need fancy oils.

Car spares

If your brakes have synthetic fluid which is dayglow green, buy citron hydronic oil which is about £5 a ltr.

If your brakes use dot fluid, then car spares again and buy dot4 which is about £3 for 500ml.

To bleed , again you can buy a bleed kit which is a rubber tube and a nipple for a little over £2.

That's what I use on my 6 piston brakes.

It says dot 5.1 or dot 4,i think i have the orange rubber tube in my tool box. :thumbsup: thanks

To stop the brakes seizing in future, strip and thoroughly clean them. Then apply a copper based grease such as Coppaslip to all pivot points and the faces of the pistons, behind the pads.

Got some of the too :thumbsup: thanks everyone.

Archived