What comes around goes around

I don't understand what the mystery is. You can see the effects of "what goes around comes around" every day.

If you are hostile towards someone, it's likely you will get hostility in return.

If you abuse drugs, it's likely they will abuse you.

If you play piñata with a wasps nest, prepare to be stung.

The CIA uses the term "blowback" to describe exactly this concept in the context of military intervention abroad. If we are prepared to meddle in the affairs of those hostile towards our way of life, expect retaliation. What goes around comes around.

That's how I've always understood it anyway.

I don't understand what the mystery is. You can see the effects of "what goes around comes around" every day.

If you are hostile towards someone, it's likely you will get hostility in return.

If you abuse drugs, it's likely they will abuse you.

If you play piñata with a wasps nest, prepare to be stung.

The CIA uses the term "blowback" to describe exactly this concept in the context of military intervention abroad. If we are prepared to meddle in the affairs of those hostile towards our way of life, expect retaliation. What goes around comes around.

That's how I've always understood it anyway.

Totally agree, but the term used generally is a hope that the process is speeded up. We want our pound of flesh instantly..

Some very interesting views.

Could there not be a test devised though to see the effects of the subtleties of behavioral extremes?

For example if someone was really altruistic how that would effect those around them and their behaviour towards others and the results on the original person physcologically and likewise someone who was a right naughty un?

Or would that be too difficult to test? Would there be too many variables?

Also do people think the effects (if they believe in it) would be purely physical or mental or both? Subtle or noticable or both?

I don't think there's any cosmic payback out there. It's highly unlikely that there's some kind of science-based law that states if people lie or treat others badly that bad will happen to them.

It's just nature and lifestyle and pure random chance.

Spot on, I've never got anywhere or anything in life by being honest and telling the truth, the whole system is dog eat dog and based on BS

Spot on, I've never got anywhere or anything in life by being honest and telling the truth, the whole system is dog eat dog and based on BS

How do you Quantify 'getting somewhere'? I'm honest, I tell the truth and I'm not hugely successful but I am very happy. This is part of what I am asking, is it a subtle process, is it purely mental or physical as well.

Does it even exist, if so, CAN it even be tested?

Is it personal and reliant on our own scale of measurement?

That is, if you are a good person and have a good life but aren't hugely successful by your measurement but other people think you are fortunate how does that relate to it? Who's viewpoint do we take?

I'll say a resounding NO based on this opinion. We look upon the human race and our actions based on a conscious inherent law that there is right and wrong, good and evil. You do 'bad' actions and the universe will right that wrong sometime in the future. The universe doesn't live/function/exist by human laws. What is right or wrong to you and me is not to the natural laws of physics. Therefore why would there be a cosmic payback when ultimately there is no natural right and wrong in he universe, it's merely our own morality and humanity that self govern our own rights an wrongs.

The only way our perception of the 'what goes around, comes around' theory truly takes place is when one human (or group) consciously decide to take action to 'right a perceived wrong'.

Still, it's good to teach it from a morality point of view. Keeps most people honest.

I'll say a resounding NO based on this opinion. We look upon the human race and our actions based on a conscious inherent law that there is right and wrong, good and evil. You do 'bad' actions and the universe will right that wrong sometime in the future. The universe doesn't live/function/exist by human laws. What is right or wrong to you and me is not to the natural laws of physics. Therefore why would there be a cosmic payback when ultimately there is no natural right and wrong in he universe, it's merely our own morality and humanity that self govern our own rights an wrongs.

The only way our perception of the 'what goes around, comes around' theory truly takes place is when one human (or group) consciously decide to take action to 'right a perceived wrong'.

Still, it's good to teach it from a morality point of view. Keeps most people honest.

Excellent post!

Archived