Sudden loss of audio from TV..

This has started happening recently... for no apparent reason, there's a "metallic" click from the TV, immediately followed by a dramatic volume loss, but which then starts to strengthen again.

I say the TV : it could also stem from the digi-box which sits on a shelf under the set...it's hard to actually tell the source.

Sometimes it happens when something else in plugged/unplugged in the house, and sometimes when lights are switched on/off.....the concern being that they're obviously on the lighting circuit/fuse, as opposed to the socket circuit.

Any suggestions?

Daft as this may sound, you may have just knocked a wire. My T.V kept pixilating and some channels, which we know we pay for, were informing us that we couldn't view them. Some channels had no sound. Turned out, I just knocked the wire while cleaning.

Daft as this may sound, you may have just knocked a wire. My T.V kept pixilating and some channels, which we know we pay for, were informing us that we couldn't view them. Some channels had no sound. Turned out, I just knocked the wire while cleaning.

Good thought, but all cables - including the power - are below/behind the cabinet, and the wall socket concerned is behind a dresser. (No offence to my better half, but I know she doesn't pull that out of the way to hoover!) So whilst a good idea, it's unlikely that any cables have been disturbed....

What troubles me is that the "whip-like" crack that precedes the sound loss can be caused by anything in the house being turned on/off....but not every time.

One of the main culprits seems to be a hand-held hair dryer....no matter which socket used....

i had same problem but didnt have the cracking noise mine was my scart cable coming loose, i never went behind the tv so found it a little starnge that it was the cables, hope you get it sorted

Lucky you!

This sounds like Indiana Jones has walked in the room!

I used to get that from my cheap Hannspree LCD TV. Never figured out what was causing it but it eventually stopped doing it.

regards Mick

This is a Sony Bravia...no other problems with it.

It actually sounds like something's expanding at a fast rate - like when plastic guttering is suddenly in full summer sun for a few minutes?!

This is a Sony Bravia...no other problems with it.

It actually sounds like something's expanding at a fast rate - like when plastic guttering is suddenly in full summer sun for a few minutes?!

First check the cables scarts ar renowned for bad connections, and often unplugging & plugging back in will fix things.

Secondly Sony recalled some Bravia models last year, I can't remember why now, but it may be an idea to check on their website incase this is related.

Sony recalled some Bravia models last year, I can't remember why now, but it may be an idea to check on their website incase this is related.

Turns out that the fire scare models were all 40" jobs...and this isn't one.

Back to checking the connections, I guess!

Archived