Ethiopian Cuban Restaurant on Arundel Gate

orangehelen

......so it's better for groups then? Is there a menu to order from or is it a buffet?

There is a menu, but they do a type of mini dish thing so you get to try lots of different dishes (think tapas style but more and nicer!) they will most likely recommend this to you if it is your first time there, I thought it was great :)

I've not been for ages so it's reminded me to go again as I really enjoyed it last time. It is very relaxed but the service is great and friendly. I just went with my boyf.

There is a menu, but they do a type of mini dish thing so you get to try lots of different dishes (think tapas style but more and nicer!) they will most likely recommend this to you if it is your first time there, I thought it was great :)

I've not been for ages so it's reminded me to go again as I really enjoyed it last time. It is very relaxed but the service is great and friendly. I just went with my boyf.

Cool - thanks for that. Will have to try it - have been meaning to for ages, but never really knew how it works.

• 4 weeks later...

we were at the ethio cubana restaurant really the food was really good and the staff there were very friendly to us ..

however this was spoilt when one chap who im told is in there regularly decided to sexually assault my wife.. not only that , we were told by another that the same had happened to her.. there are a group of guys who go there who need sorting out .. a skinny guy with short tight curly hair.. hes the one who did it.. i stupidly called the police as im not a fighter.. the police did nothing but wind us up.. just be warned.. if this guy is about , he will try it again..

i hope the staff at ethiocubana have banned them from their establishment because its people like that who can get places closed down

just to reitterate.. the staff were great and the food was too

• 2 months later...

Just wanted to add to this. Went there last night and the vegetarian food was amazing. Okay, it's never going to win any awards for the decor but it's homely and welcoming. Bizarrely the service was possibbly the best and most professional I've had in Sheffield even though it came clad in jeans and a hoodie.

We had a really nice evening there, the veggie food was fantastic and it was very welcoming. Would recommend.

• 1 month later...

We just went back there last night with 4 more friends whos first time it was, and they all loved it and we all swore we would be back. It is amazing and also warmer than it was a year or so ago, they seem to have sorted the heating out.

So try it, it's great!

We just went back there last night with 4 more friends whos first time it was, and they all loved it and we all swore we would be back. It is amazing and also warmer than it was a year or so ago, they seem to have sorted the heating out.

So try it, it's great!

Cheers for the update. I've still not been and it is very remiss of me.

Cool - thanks for that. Will have to try it - have been meaning to for ages, but never really knew how it works.

Well.. almost 18 months later I finally made it to Ethio Cubana. Me and my husband went last night and really enjoyed it. The staff are great and the guy serving us was very friendly and helpful. It was loads busier than I expected too. We were given a menu to look at, but told that the waiter would come back and discuss what we wanted with us rather than just letting us order. Some people don't like this, I, when eating a new cuisine, do. We said that we fancied lamb and some veggie dishes and we were advised to have a selection of veggie dishes and one lamb dish. It isn't all 'blind'. The guy does show you where they are on the menu so that you can check exactly what you're ordering and how much it is!

The food was great. We had tapas size dishes of potato, chickpeas, lentils, spinach, green beans and a larger dish of lamb. We also (stupidly) ordered a stuffed chili. My husband loves a chili challenge, especially when the waiter warns him against it! It was very hot and serves my husband right! We also had the bread to eat with. This is more like a sponge pancake - very bizarre. Very sour and vinegary. You use it to scoop your food up and the sourness does strangely complement the food. There was also a side salad served.

The food was good - nothing overly spectacular - but good. The ambiance was also nice. Ok, the decor is tacky and the place seriously needs a refurb, but the candles were out, some chilled out music was playing, people were chatting and laughing so it was a nice environment.

The best things about this place have got to be the service and the fact that it's such good value for money. All that food, plus 2 bottles of beer each was £29! Bargain!

Archived