Should councils parking services be more accountable?

should councils parking services be accountable for their antics?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. should councils parking services be accountable for their antics?

• yes
    • No

99% of folk who contest a parking ticket with whichever council it was issued by have won their appeal - Myself included, 1 with SCC and 2 with Islington Council.

I suspect there is many more who if they contested their parking ticket would have also successfully had their parking tickets refuted if they had the confidence, knowledge, courage, time and resources to do so.

All other council departments have to be accountable for their actions, explain their stance and reasons for imposing and delivering many services, but this doesn't seem to apply to any councils parking services, and as they're unfairly breaking the law and wrongfully issuing parking tickets then IMO they should also now be more accountable for their actions.

99% of folk who contest a parking ticket with whichever council it was issued by have won their appeal - Myself included, 1 with SCC and 2 with Islington Council.

I suspect there is many more who if they contested their parking ticket would have also successfully had their parking tickets refuted if they had the confidence, knowledge, courage, time and resources to do so.

All other council departments have to be accountable for their actions, explain their stance and reasons for imposing and delivering many services, but this doesn't seem to apply to any councils parking services, and as they're unfairly breaking the law and wrongfully issuing parking tickets then IMO they should also now be more accountable for their actions.

I voted no as this little gem applies to drivers also.

If you think your ticket is issued wrongly then you appeal.

If you don't think it is worth the hassle of appealing you pay.

If you are not sure loads of help on the internet. Pepipoo for example.

I don't really see the problem. When councils have issued a bunch of tickets wrongly - Hillsborough Bus gates for example - they repay.

Excel Parking issued 11,000+ so called fines at a retail park in Stockport and they lost a defended court case when they tried to enforce one.

Like to take a bet on how much they paid back?

Thousands of people pay speculative invoices from Private Parking Companies each year when they have no need to. They are the people you ought to be after.

If you think your ticket is issued wrongly then you appeal.

If you don't think it is worth the hassle of appealing you pay.

If you are not sure loads of help on the internet. Pepipoo for example.

I don't really see the problem. When councils have issued a bunch of tickets wrongly - Hillsborough Bus gates for example - they repay.

Excel Parking issued 11,000+ so called fines at a retail park in Stockport and they lost a defended court case when they tried to enforce one.

Like to take a bet on how much they paid back?

Thousands of people pay speculative invoices from Private Parking Companies each year when they have no need to. They are the people you ought to be after.

IIRC they did not volunteer the money back to people who had been wrongly fined, you had to specifically request it back.

jb

I voted no as this little gem applies to drivers also.

Surely the drivers who won their cases were in the right and, by implication, obeying the council's rules...if councils are wrong they should pay up..if drivers are breaking the rules then they should pay up...

Surely the drivers who won their cases were in the right and, by implication, obeying the council's rules...if councils are wrong they should pay up..if drivers are breaking the rules then they should pay up...

I don't disagree but that doesn't detract from the fact that drivers should be prepared to be accountable for their actions and too often on here they bleat on about getting caught.

Archived