Teaching dog to cope with being alone

alchemist

Definitely agree with a crate. Its a dogs own little den :) We didn't have a crate as such for our dog, but whenever she was insecure or scared she would instinctively head for a small enclosed space, usually under a little table. We would cover the table with a blanket and she would calm down and become less anxious. Its definitely worth a try - at the very least your doors and furniture will be intact as I'm sure you know how destructive an anxious dog can be :)

A kong toy is great if you've not got one already. There's a lot of different styles and sizes but the principle is the same - you can stuff food inside and it keeps your dog entertained while you're busy or go out, they have to chew it and chuck it about to get the food out slowly.

I bought one for our dog and it's the only toy she's had that's lasted and she loves it :)

For example, I knew that today our dog is going to be on her own this afternoon so she'll be getting a good long walk this morning to tire her out (more likely to sleep while we're gone!) and last night I prepared a Kong for her by mixing her kibble with a little peanut butter, stuff that inside the kong then freeze it overnight. She absolutely loves this and it'll keep her entertained for a good while.

Crate training is good, but don't make the crate like a punishment. Put a soft bed inside and a blanket over the top so that the crate is a pleasant hidey hole to be in, and train the dog to be in it for a couple of minutes at a time during the day, followed by lots of fuss if s/he stays calm in the crate for the time that you've been away.

A radio on a voice station or a ticking clock are often good for keeping them calm too, but don't leave a light on, as that is likely to keep them awake. A little walk last thing before bed may also help.

Making it through the night is usually something that's sorted out within the first week, so the other piece of advice is to choose a strategy and go with it. Barking, whining, scratching at the door at night does not get your attention EVER. A few days of that being the case should help the little one get the message.

Thank you for all your useful and helpful replies.

Progress was made last night when, now we know he will not make a mess, we moved his basket into the living room and allowed him to sleep in there overnight. I am informed by the kids who kept a listen outside the door for a couple of mins that there was just a bit of a whimper and that was it, he was asleep in basket next morning.

The kids sat with him in the dark for 10 mins then went up to bed, listening at the top of the stairs for a bit. We are hoping to reduce this time until we can just go straight out.

Ho does seem to be happy being left alone in day as well for a while. Should be interesting tomorrow when we go shopping!!!

Archived