Sheffield to have best roads in the UK

Mecky

I like how we're supposed to be grateful, we should accept a decent road surface without all this hoohah, be interesting to see if they do a decent job and not have to rip it up again 10 years later cos of contaniments like on the parkway, Hope this covers Kerbs too, cos they're a menance too.

Hope they do my road first, sick of thinking i am off roading LOL, no good when you have low profile tyres either

Theres a few roads that you notice that get the cheap surface relay every couple of years, surely they are best just to do it properly in the first place.

Crap roads are a nightmare for cyclists too - It's like having your spine rearranged on a daily basis and it increases the risk of accidents when I either hit potholes or have to avoid them. It also means more damage and expensive maintenance - my back axle has never been replaced so frequently as when I started cycling in Sheffield.

I'm sure that there'll be many who won't give the previous Labour Council & Labour Government credit for this either, but in 5 years time, when we have the best roads in the U.K., perhaps people just might think where this has come from.
what like the same labour gov handing a 25 year contract to a company to empty our bins (who are now holding us to ransom) we are in a recession yet the labour run council think its ok to hand out 25 year contracts willy nilly. i wonder if this company will give its employees the same length of contract when they start this work ? (i wonder how many will be agency workers with no job security?)

I do wonder how far this money will go - how much is it really? I also wonder why the council can't do it - what's the automatic benefit of giving public money to a private company?

Some of the worst stretches of road could soak up a lot of cash - Penistone Road, Holywell Road, the half of Carlisle Street that was left untouched when the other part was resurfaced. What will be the priorities?

Because that would go down as public spending, which the government don't want. By loaning the money to a private company, it isn't public spending.

What I'm worried about is, is it going to be like the student games

another finacial nightmare. You hear stories from NHS who can't afford

doctors because the repayments on the pfi buildings are so large

When it was first banded around the figure of around 690 million pounds

of work was mentioned now we are hearing a contract that is worth 2 billion

I don't think they will be a problem with the standard of work, because Amey

have already got other pfi contracts in England, and these will have been

checked out prior to goverment allowing it to be awarded, I think Birmingham and

York are their contracts

One thing I do know Sheffield is going to be very messy for a few years, on

Shiregreen estate when they did the lighting columns and the footpaths

it was like being on bulding site, just think what it will be like on narrow

terraced housing roads. With the road dug up, the footpath dug up and

nowhere to park cars

What I'm worried about is, is it going to be like the student games

another finacial nightmare. You hear stories from NHS who can't afford

doctors because the repayments on the pfi buildings are so large

When it was first banded around the figure of around 690 million pounds

of work was mentioned now we are hearing a contract that is worth 2 billion

I don't think they will be a problem with the standard of work, because Amey

have already got other pfi contracts in England, and these will have been

checked out prior to goverment allowing it to be awarded, I think Birmingham and

York are their contracts

One thing I do know Sheffield is going to be very messy for a few years, on

Shiregreen estate when they did the lighting columns and the footpaths

it was like being on bulding site, just think what it will be like on narrow

terraced housing roads. With the road dug up, the footpath dug up and

nowhere to park cars

The £2bn figure takes into account the PFI credits the government gives, SCC's contribution, inflation and non-maintenance work that Amey will do.

That's Amsterdam aint it?

Nope: Blackburn, Lancashire.

Loving the Sheffield-ness being demonstrated on this thread, by the way. Bitch for years because the roads aren't being fixed and now bitch because they are. Genius!

Archived