Sheffield to have best roads in the UK

Mecky

• 2 weeks later...

The residents of Worrall village were lucky enough to have a visit from Nick Clegg the other day. A meeting that I attended. He claimed that they have just signed an enormous contract with some highways contractor to massively improve the roads in sheffield (he claims that it is the most enormous contract of its type ever, innit).

SO it may be true...

The residents of Worrall village were lucky enough to have a visit from Nick Clegg the other day. A meeting that I attended. He claimed that they have just signed an enormous contract with some highways contractor to massively improve the roads in sheffield (he claims that it is the most enormous contract of its type ever, innit).

SO it may be true...

The contract hasn't been signed yet, but will be soon. The contract is due to start mid August, but the core investment probably won't be in full swing until 2013.

reduce the lanes for cars and put in cycle lanes throughout, that would encourage more cyclists, less cars, less emissions, reduced injuries, less costs for the NHS, less fat people, less road rage, generally its a bloody good idea!!

I drive a van full of various tools, poles,aerials,brackets, fours sets of ladders, paperwork,vacuum cleaner, satellite dishes. and so on.

Could you tell me how i could do this on a bike please ?

SO it may be true...

Nick Clegg said that did he? What contract is he going to sign & what on earth had he to do with the Highways PFI bid? The bid was put together by a Labour Council & the bid approved & money awarded by a Labour government. The contract will be signed by Amey with the Labour Council.

So Nick Clegg is trying to take the credit for it all ? Why am I not surprised?

I wonder how many people are aware that Amey are going to remove about half of the street trees in the city (aroubd 17,000 i think). This may not be such a bad thing because of all the root damage ,but its going to change the look to some Sheffield neighbourhoods almost overnight and no doubt upset a lot of people when they find out.

They plan to replant with more suitable trees but some of the now leafy streets are going to look very differant in a few years.

Archived